Cities of size 47 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cities of size 47 ?

I am quite interested in building the max population in the world, without cheating, of course.
    A city has 21 squares. If they are all plains, they can produce, 4 (2+1 with irrigation+1 with farmland).
    Each citizen eat two foods, so that makes cities of 42 if you are not near the coast and your engineers do well.
    Two resources : oasis and wheat can produce more food : 6 (3+1+2).
    Normally you can have 4 of these resources within the city Radius, each of them adding a citizen.
    So the maximus size of a city appears to me to be 46.

But I've read somewhere on this forum (but where and when ?) that one could manage to get 5 resources within the city radius, because of strange patterns happening near the junction lines of the map (I name junction lines the squares of the x coordinates near 0).
    It is true that the pattern of resources repeating themselves every 8 squares, they twist a little bit at the j.l. when you give them numbers that are not multiples of 8. eg 97 rather 96.
    I have seen 2 huts or 2 resources next one to another, but I've never witnessed 5 resources within the city radius. The closest I've come is 4 with an unusual pattern.

DOES ANYONE AS EVER SEEN THAT MYTHICAL 5 RESOURCES WITHIN A SINGLE CITY'S REACH ?
    If the answer is yes, would it be possible to provide the size of the map and the number of the resource seed (or the map itself), so that I can build cities of 47 ?
    Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe

On the subject of non-cheating maximum population, it would seem that what that would consist of would be 127 cities at 40ish population and 127 cities at 127 population. Sending a food caravan to another city to get it to grow is perfectly legal, so having 1/2 of your cities producing food caravans every round for the other 1/2 of your cities would work. What isn't generally considered legal is taking food caravans and rehoming them so that each city sends itself a food caravan every turn producing 254 size 127 cities. It would require a granary in every growing city (or the pyramids), or you'd get a lot of famine, and certainly more patience than I have

------------------
    April Cantor: Sire, in order to expand further we must first gain favor of the King

SCG: darn, I've never really got the hang of that tribute thing, guess it will be a long time until i make prince

*goes off and starts gifting gold and techs*
    Insert witty phrase here

Comment

Sorry,

I don't get it.
      First you cannot relocate a caravan im my version of civ (multiplayer), of that I am sure.

And I also believe (but it needs to be verified) that if a city sends food to another then the food is removed from it. (a +4 food city sending successfully a food caravan becomes a +3 food city).
      Finally, is it possible to establish more than 3 food lines for one city. I doubt it.
      SCG did you try all that you've said or were you just speculating. Maybe it depends on the version of civ. Which one do you have ?

Furthermore to underline the very little meaning of all of this, food caravans only affect (if I am right) the population, not the score, because a citizen is a citizen, no matter the size of the city.

Oh no, not even that, in fact a city of 42 scores less than two cities of 21, because you can only make about 20 citizens very happy (they score 2 points then).
      Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe

Comment

Every citizen counts towards score if you are interested in a high score game.
        The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

You can rehome a caravan by moving it into a city and using the menu available by clicking on it in the city screen - since this command is not available from the main menu some people view this as a cheat.
          A city may send many food caravans to another city and only incur one loss of food for that single route - the recipient city however grows whenever its food box is full ie after every other caravan - caravan arrives food box is filled - city grows - food box drops to half (with granary) drops further (with deficit) food caravan arrives fills granary - next fc fills food box - city grows again - so the trick is to move food caravans in pairs - it is also possible (but considered by almost everyone as a cheat) to have a loop of food caravans - city A supplies city B which can therefore grow, city B supplies city C which grows and city C supplies city A - look three growing cities!!! (I think this trick is due to Xin)

Sorry if I have got any of the details wrong - but its a long time since I played a game of this nature...

good civin'

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
          "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
          "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Thanks for the informations on the food caravans. I finally get it, at least I believe.
            I am in no hurry to try it though, because it seems afwul close to cheating.

May I ask again about that 5 resources pattern ?
            As anyone seen this ?
            (please look back at the 1st message)

Comment

Thanks for the informations on the food caravans. I finally get it, at least I believe.

As anyone seen this ?

Comment

As anyone seen this ?

Comment

As anyone seen this ?

Comment

Standard use of food caravans is one of the documented purposes of caravan units - and works a lot faster.

A five special pattern could only occur at the "international dateline" on a civ map where the tile numbers wrap back around to zero. By changing the resource seed (0-63) you should be able to see all iterations, but off hand I don't think the wrap makes it possible. Why do you want big cities??
                    Be the bid!

Comment

In no sense definitive, but I did once spend a whole day trying to fabricate a five special city (for an OCC scenario) and I failed miserably ...

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
                      "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                      "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Sorry for sending the same message 4 times, but I was not receiving the confirmation that my message was send, so I clicked a few times on the submit button. (Call it impatience)

Well the 5 resoures cities seems impossible to me too. But as I heard of someone mentionning it in this site, I wanted to be sure. I'm going to look for the message. And to try all those resource seeds. C'mon there is just 64 of them !

Why would I want cities of 47. Where is my lawyer ? And I need a psychiatrist, too.
                        I just find it interesting to be the king of the largest empire without cheating. Getting a few cities at 47 would improve my population score. And there is the curiosity to discover something I haven't seen yet.

I have made some maps in which the AI civs start in situations where they cannot build cities, so I can get the maximum cites (255) with all resources avalaible to make them grow beyond 42. Would it interest anybody ? I shall submit the best ones to the Apolyton site.
                        If there is a rainy sunday coming, it could be done quite soon.

Comment

Forget it !
                          I haven’t been able to find a 5 resources in on city radius pattern, despite 1 full hour at playing with the seed numbers and the coordinates in my map editor.
                          It has to be impossible.

Comment

5 Special Resources For One City - I have seen it.

I have had this happen in one solo game; but it was not with starting with five resource squares.

I accidentally transformed (selected wrong menu option) a grassland (shield) square I think into
                            a hill with wine. I found this so odd that I
                            converted grassland with a square into a forest
                            and had silk. I believe that if I had deforested;
                            I might have had a buffalo or a wheat.

I am not sure which version of Civ2 this was with.
                            None of these special resource squares which I created fitted into the standard resource square patterns, nor was it on the map wrap round date line.

Comment

I saw a 5 special site once.It wasn't mine unfortunately.It was on one of those oversized maps.These maps are very weird though.Parts of them seem to dissappear and reappear.Sometimes you can't see your cities.Very strange indeed.I can't recommend them at all.
                              The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Working...
                              X