Celebrity Civvers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Celebrity Civvers

I have just bought the new Moby album, "Play". In the first line of the cover notes, he says "I am doubtful about fundamentalism", or something very similar.

Clearly, he hasn't fully explored all the possibilities of this government, but has anybody come across any evidence of other celebrity players of our favourite game?

No evidence of course as the internet is one place a well known person can find some degree of anonymity.

I'd bet Deniro plays.
    The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

D'OH! Another person using "k" "a" and "n" in their name? I guess I'll have to find another place to hide...

-The Civer Currently Known As KhanMan
      Odin, Thor, and Loki walk into a bar together...
      -KhanMan

Comment

Surely you have heard of the Scouse Gits!!

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
        "The Great Library must be built!"
        "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
        "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Well, i rather mean that i've tried not to hide myself but i thought some of you would have picked up on it by my title!!! It's not like i'm hiding...

Scouse, I know my historical quotes aren't quite what they might be, but i'm sure Cato didn't say that, did he???
          "There are not more than 5 musical notes..." - Sun Tzu
          ...and we build an Academy for this guy... :confused:

Comment

If my herstory is up to anything Cato finished every speech he made in the Senate with the imprecation to destroy Carthage - he finally got his way of course at the end of the ?Second? Punic War.
            The Great Library thing is a quote from a 'contemporary philosopher' (me)
            Good civin'

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
            "The Great Library must be built!"
            "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
            "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Carthago was destroyed during the 3rd Punic War, around 150 bc.
              The 2nd War had ended circa 200bc with the battle of Zama. The winners were, as you certainly know, the Romans. Carthago had to surrender and to pay a huge reparation tribute (10'000 talents in ... 50 years). If I remember well, the Acropole in Athens costed something like 500 talents to build. So it was really a big tribute to pay.
              Cato repeated for many years that Carthago should be destroyed, but the Roman Senate only agreed after they had been paid all the money. Very cynical indeed. And it appears clear for many historians that Carthago, without its possessions in Spain, Sardaign and Sicila, without its Numidians allies (who had defected to Rome during PW2) and without a huge treasury to pay many Greeks mercenaries, was definitely not a military threat. "Delenda est Cartago" was just an almost criminal obsession, although one could consider that Carthago remained a commercial power.
              But, hell, the Romans used to listen quite a lot to their Military Advisor.
              And the Real Romans were far more efficient than their AI counterparts.
              Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe

Comment

I on't think too many celebrities play Civ..if none at all...
                Das Wasser soll dein Spiegel sein
                Erst wenn es glatt ist, wirst du sehen
                Wieviel Märchen dir noch bleibt
                und um Erlösung wirst du flehen.

The water shall be your mirror
                Only when it's smooth you will see
                How much fairy-tale is left for you
                And you will beg for deliverance.

'Alter Mann', RAMMSTEIN.

Comment

Fair go, Comrade, I can easily imagine Arnold Schwarzenegger lacking the imagination to get the Civ box open.

------------------
                  finbar
                  Mono Rules!
                  " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                  "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Hmmmm.... this is making me think about all the celebs and AppleMasters that support and promote Apple. I wonder if Douglas Adams, Tom Clancy, Jennifer Jason Leigh or Gregory Hines has a copy of Civ II MPG on their Powerbooks!

------------------
                    "And now for something completely different..."
                    - John Cleese
                    "Don't stop thinking about tomorrow! It'll soon be here!" - Fleetwood Mac

Have you checked out the MacAddict Forums? I'm "Father of the Bar Mitzvah" if you visit!

Comment

I agree with Comrade Dan.
                      If you come to think about it, it is very difficult to become a celebrity after you've become addicted to Civ2. For example, one could probably not practice for the Olympics and for OCC at the same time. One has to choose. I was, some times ago a quite promising young chess player, but guess what happened.
                      The only way a celebrity could play civ2 is if he/or/she is already very famous and that he/or/she doesn't need much work to remain a celebrity.
                      Maybe a politician could try it, but they seem to spend their free time in some other ways.
                      Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe

Comment

If anyone was intersted by my little piece on the 3rd punic war, here's a little precision.
                        In fact, a talent was worth 6000 drachmes, and and a drachme was roughly equal to the price of a sheep.
                        So the tribute that the Carthanginians payed to the romans between 200bc and 150bc was close to 60'000'000 sheeps. Has the Hannibal of Civ2 ever been robbed that way ?

Comment

Since much of "celebrity" is based on a carefully cultivated image, *and* since celebrities spend a lot of time at that, *and* since they have rather fragile egos and can't tolerate losing, I doubt there are any that play Civ.

I could maybe see an intelligent but retired professional athlete (and there are many) or famous game-player (like Bobby Fisher, perhaps) getting involved in Civ, though.
                          Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
                          Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
                          Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
                          Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

Working...
                          X