Civ2 in Schools?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ2 in Schools?

I jsut realized that Civ 2 would be a neat way to teach history. That is, instead of having to learn "by the book" they give you a good scenario in the appropriate era, ask you to play it, then do the books as needed. And thoughts?

By the way, I'd wish they'd use this system in schools now, and I can forget about history homework...
    *grumbles about work*

try and get it past a school board....

Comment

That would be pretty cool. I agree with SandMonkey about school boards.

It is sort of funny that you brought that up. School was the place that I first palyed Civ.
      I guess I know who my favorite teacher is

------------------
      What if the Hokey-Pokey is really what its all about?

Contact me at cpoland@mail.win.org

Comment

a teacher got you hooked on civ? or just because you got to play in that class??

Comment

Because I played it in class. But I thank the teacher for getting the program.

------------------
          What if the Hokey-Pokey is really what its all about?

Contact me at cpoland@mail.win.org

Comment

Cool idea...

Comment

Bumping this up so people can see it.
              *grumbles about work*

Comment

I've thought that this was a great way to teach historical concepts to kids since I first got the game! Thanks to Civ, my oldest son (now 10) and I have had lots of conversations about how events and discoveries played out in the real world. I think that a game would take too long in a classroom setting, however the poster/tech tree could be useful.

There is a video series called the "Ascent of Man" by Jacob Bernowski (I likely misspelled his name) that discusses how one discovery led to another and how history was impacted. The tapes should be available in most great public libraries.

------------------
                "And now for something completely different..."
                - John Cleese
                "Don't stop thinking about tomorrow! It'll soon be here!" - Fleetwood Mac

Have you checked out the MacAddict Forums? I'm "Father of the Bar Mitzvah" if you visit!

Comment

I can hear it now.

Kid: "How come there are chariots in the 17th Century, sir?"

Teacher: "You're on detention, boy."

------------------
                  finbar
                  Mono Rules!
                  " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                  "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Essays written on 'causes of the Russian Revolution':

'obviously, Lenin hoped to use the low corruption and ability to control many cities of Communism to counteract the Republic (of Kerensky) with its poor military and greater unhappiness...'

Essays on why Rhodes should've been the most powerful Greek poleis (they had the Collossus, and Collossus vs Oracle? pffft..)
                    "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                    "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                    "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Civ 2 should definitely be in schools. How much it should be used however, varies.

The students can learn various things:

#1 How hard it is to manage an empire
                      #2 The names of historical leaders
                      #3 Historical Civilizations and where they started.
                      #4 Real wonders of the world
                      #5 What some things do (city improvements)
                      #6 Strategy like chess (unit wars)
                      #7 They can make book reports on the 100 years war or other wars such as putting historical units facing off each other (High School History and art if they design the units)
                      #8 They can make book reports (Lord of the Flies) with sound, unit, and terrain drawings)

Those are just some ideas of many
                      -->Visit CGN!
                      -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

How about having scenario making instead of projects? You can just see it in this:

Parent: Get off the computer, you've been playing for 11 hours.

Kid: But it's a school project...

Parent: Nonsense, why would they make you try to draw a picture of Napoleon that small for a project?

Hehehe...
                        *grumbles about work*

Comment

Actually I had a dream about civ in schools a couple weeks ago. I dreamed I was back to teaching and I was in this huge classroom with the walls lined with books and in walking around the room I noticed a section of civ and alpha centauri books!
                          I opened a civ book and it was a story based on a game played by the author.
                          Apolyton Empress
                          "Tongue tied and twisted, just and earth bound misfit..."

"Sanity is the playground for the unimaginative" --found on a bathroom wall

Comment

Fin - It would be more useful here in the "Colonies" as we don't have surly youth!

------------------
                            "And now for something completely different..."
                            - John Cleese
                            "Don't stop thinking about tomorrow! It'll soon be here!" - Fleetwood Mac

Have you checked out the MacAddict Forums? I'm "Father of the Bar Mitzvah" if you visit!

Comment

I'd like to see more emphasis on the 'perfectionist' approach to encourage the values espoused by a true civilization.

While the initial concepts would be a useful introduction to history, I think the level of AI performance (broached in the Civ3 forum) would need to be improved before some realism can be imparted. Besides the 17th C chariot, the bright kids will no doubt be able to soon produce 18th C armor not to mention finding the Cure for Cancer in 1600 AD.

Comment

Working...
                              X