What is 'Ultimate Civilization 2'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is 'Ultimate Civilization 2'?

I'm searching for a original copy of Civilization 2: MGE but after depressing day spent at obscure shops I didn't find this old game anymore..

Anyways.. what I did find was the above mentioned title. But does anyone know what version this is?

Its not expensive really (€ 10) but I don't need another box on my shelf..

Thanks for your help in identifying this.

Ultimate Civilisation 2 is the european variant of MGE - the one most of us over here (in Europe) had to start with.
    It can be updated to the latest patch using Julius Brenzaida's NoLimits patch available from the directory here - the vanilla flavour patch 3 for MGE does NOT work on UCC - but I have heard that there is a patch variant that does - but I don't know where to find it

Hope this helps, SG[1]
    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

There are actually two different versions known sometimes as "Ultimate Civilization" one on the disc is actually called "Multiplayer Edition" and doesn't work with the official patch the most sites have but there is an official patch out there which can be found at Mercator's site for example. The other version is the European release of MGE and should be compatible with the more common MGE/UCC patch.
      Cedric's Civilization 2 Page, Home of the FW, MGE, and ToT Patches

Comment

SG and CG,

Thanks for your swift and clear answers. I was surprised to hear that there were differently named US and EU versions of basically the same product.

I´ve bought the copy and found an update (to 1.3) on the CivFanatic site. It works like a charm. Furthermore I have applied that NoLimit patch from Julius Brenzaida, so I´m all set to go.

One last question: can I multiplay this version with others who have MGE? I´m not expecting problems, but have no experience with it yet.

Anyways.. now I have 4 Civ games in my legal posession (okay 3 plus Colonization).. lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka Naldur
          I think the ultimate was only released at the UK
          There is also a French version: the one I play
          (and I think there is a German one too)
          Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

It's not Ultimate Civilization. It's Civilization II Ultimate Classic Collection. Civ II MGE + CiC + FW. The European distro of MGE, which also was spiced up. The UCC compliant patch is on CFC and Mercy's site. ACS doesn't have it. However of course there can be some "Ultimate Civilization II", but I assume you read the text of the disc as "Ultimate Civilization II."

Rasbelin,
            owner of two happy and complete UCC boxsets
            "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Originally posted by MrSmiley

One last question: can I multiplay this version with others who have MGE? I´m not expecting problems, but have no experience with it yet.
              Yes, you can. Just make sure they have the MGE or UCC patch. Cannot remember the version numbers, but the newest ones should be enough as rule of thumb.
              "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

I'm not sure if "no limits" does anything that might effect multiplay..don't think so.
                If you are patched and the game seems to work,you should be good ta go.

You won't know for sure about multiplay until you join a game.I put the UCC patch on MGE by mistake and,while all worked fine in solo play,the labels were all messed up in MP.Like I could choose "Spice" as my first tech to work on.The game version after patching looked correct so there was no other way to tell.
                The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Originally posted by MrSmiley
                  SG and CG,
                  heh, after seeing that i had to make sure i hadn't posted in this thread yet

and just as a followup, some of the UK and European Ebay sites do have descriptions for that version...
                  Insert witty phrase here

Comment

Like I could choose "Spice" as my first tech to work on.

Dune?
                    (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                    (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                    (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

You can play against people having MGE, the only requirement AFAIK is that both copies are patched.

In case your opponents don't know which patch they use, tell them to go into "Game options" (IIRC) in one of the menus. At the top of the square containing all the options, they'll find the patch version and date.

Carolus

Comment

Working...
                      X