No announcement yet.

Best civ Type Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Civ 2 is the best all round game, after about 500 games the others become a little stall but civ2 still has that one more turn feel.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

Originally posted by La Fayette

I'm fairly sure that I have spent more time playing civ2 than all other games put together
      Oh I think I still have a ways to go -- I think I logged over 700 games of Strategic Conquest, at about 6 hours per game average. It’s a search the world, found cities, conquer the ai game…no wonder I liked it (didn’t have civ at that time).
      Those with lower expectations face fewer disappointments

Comment

Before I discovered Civ, I too spent many hours playing Strategic Conquest. It was on my first computer, a hand me down from my son.

It was a great game for its time and prepped me for Civ. Had many of the same layered logistics and planning aspects. Unfortunately, I no longer have the game. But, really, where would the time come from to play it now that I am so completely addicted to CivII.

The memories are sweet, though. Thanks for bringing it up.

Monk
        so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

I can't honestly say I've played the other ones, so i'll have to go with Civ2 and Civ1 at a close second.
          From what I've seen of Civ3, it seems too complicated for my liking.
          April City Planner in the 3rd Civ2 Democracy Game
          Read Sluggy Freelance! Watch Homestar Runner! Papa Smurf is a Communist!

Comment

I'd say civ3 was simpler than civ2.

Comment

I bought CTP last year and thoroughly enjoyed it...for quite a while...and still do...in many ways its so like CIV II...in fact im hard pressed right now after playing CIV II to really compare or make a favourite because in so many ways ( exlcuding perhaps trade and diplomacy ) they are similar.....i.e scenario and AI modding,etc.

For me the power in a game is to explore its possibilities and weaknesses, learn how its designed and how the AI gameplay is shaped...then try and find or modify a realistic as possible (and reasonable) setting so the game becomes as real life playing against a computer!!

Perhaps ill progress to MP or PBEM one day but for now
              im happy to run at 1 bit per second and beat a 700MHZ brain!!!!!!
              "Some people are alive, simply because its against the law to kill them"

"Freedom is not the right to do as you please, but the liberty to do as you ought"

Comment

There can be only one and it's not Highlander... Civ II!

But I also like MOO2, although I have not played it nearly as much as Civ II.

Carolus

Comment

Civ 2 is easily the best, though I have to admit that I play mostly Civ 3 nowadays, and some SMAC.

Comment

I see no bias here

CIV II MP is the best.
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                      I see no bias here
                      Of course not, not in the Civ2 Forum!

I have to say I liked the pedia style of plain Civ2 better,(get_info.exe) but overall, MGE is better, as it has pictures next to the names.
                      April City Planner in the 3rd Civ2 Democracy Game
                      Read Sluggy Freelance! Watch Homestar Runner! Papa Smurf is a Communist!

Comment

The 1st place in this case would have to go Civ2MP. Thanks to it excellent collection of scenarios. IMO Freeciv comes in 2nd because of its excellent MP and micromanagment features (which truly come apparent after starting to play regular sessions). The lack of diplomacy in SP (we'll have to wait for 1.15) puts it out of reach for 1st place (for now). Civ3 looks and sounds very good but just doesn't have "it", so 3th place and even then it has to fight for that position with the original Civ1.

I've never gotten into SMAC, "it just ain't earth..." so I'll leave that out of my Top3.
                        Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

Working...
                        X