Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheating AI Aggravates This Player

Everyone:

I am playing on a customized Earth map where I've located the English in Australia, and it may very well be the last time I put them in Australia (my Australia is a bit greener than the RL one). I'm playing at the Emperor level, and the English AI is cheating like hell when it comes to building wonders. First of all, it has isolation on its side (except that it's picking fights with Asian and African powers), and, secondly, the AI is almost at Civ I levels when it comes to wonders: IOW, as soon as it has the technology for the wonder, it "insta-builds" the damn thing.

I've never been so sorely tempted to play God as I am right now to blast that cheating English AI civilization out of the game. Frickin A! You can't keep up with a cheating AI unless you decide to cheat as well, and I'm not that kind of player!

Gatekeeper
    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

If the AI builds the wonders you like in Australia, you sail to Australia and take the cities: the wonders will be yours
    Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

Yeah, except I'm one of those players who puts up mainly a defensive army for most of the game and concentrates on economic and scientific development. Plus, the English AI nabbed Magellan's Expedition, so my ships will be at a distinct disadvantage when I finally do put together convoys packed to the gills with offensive divisions.

I did have a small victory, though: I snatched the United Nations out from beneath not only the English, but Russia and those wusses in India, too. And now I'm building the Hoover Dam in Washington, D.C. Next on my list is J.S. Bach's Cathedral (a nice complement to Michelangelo's Chapel at the Emperor level).

The English AI is still nuts, though, when building wonders. I hate how the AI can combine all its shield production in a single turn and devote it to any project in any city.

Gatekeeper
      "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

Comment

This can be shortened to two words: Silly AI

Comment

Well, since this game is from 1996, you can't expect it to have a great AI... The computer has to compensate for its dumbness by cheating, otherwise the computer would be no match for the human player, even at emperor level.

Comment

Ah, but if the English weren't cheating, this game of yours would be entirely unremarkable. You'd win in a breeze, and might even get bored.

What I'm trying to say is that, as annoying as those cheats are, I've grown used to them. And if the AI didn't cheat, the game would be too easy all the time, as opposed to merely being too easy a lot of the time
            "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
            "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Yeah, well, my mood will get better once I finish work on the Hoover Dam. That'll give me a nice industrial boost that, in time, will produce many, many combat divisions.

I've thought about "evening out" the lower level games by limiting my cities to only 10 or so offensive divisions apiece. But that makes it a real pain to conquer some of those huge AI empires at pop up towards the endgame (I don't fight for the most part until the industrial and modern ages). That way I can enjoy the game even more w/o the aggravating AI cheats that become obvious at Emperor and Deity.

Gatekeeper

Comment

In no games on this earth where an AI doesn't cheat on harder levels, catch ups, stats boost, unbeleivable accuracy. It's the same in any game. Stop complaining.

Spec.
                -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Gatekeeper,

As in Real Life, you should have no illusion of control over what happens around you. You can only control your attitude. Is it an AI cheat or a human handicap (to level the game)?? Your choice.

Now live with your choice and get on with your game. You might as well whine about the oncoming tide washing over your sandcastle.

Monk (the Inscrutable)
                  so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

Originally posted by Spectator
                    In no games on this earth where an AI doesn't cheat on harder levels, catch ups, stats boost, unbeleivable accuracy. It's the same in any game. Stop complaining.

Spec.
                    No one made you come into this thread. No one made you post in this thread. You did so anyway. You want me to stop complaining? Then stop posting in threads like this if they offend you, buddy.

Gatekeeper

Comment

Originally posted by Bloody Monk
                      Gatekeeper,

As in Real Life, you should have no illusion of control over what happens around you. You can only control your attitude. Is it an AI cheat or a human handicap (to level the game)?? Your choice.

Now live with your choice and get on with your game. You might as well whine about the oncoming tide washing over your sandcastle.

Monk (the Inscrutable)
                      Yeah, talk about inscrutable. BTW, the damn game is over and, yes, I won. I'll remember not post any commentary about my on-going games the next time.

Gatekeeper

Comment

You must have been standing on your head to draw that conclusion...and I'm sure it was a glorious game.

This may be harder for you to grasp than I thought. Humans can cheat. The AI can not cheat. Period.

Just play and enjoy.

Monk
                        so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

Technically, the AI doesn't have the wherewithal to cheat. It has to be programmed by a human to cheat.

That said, I'm one of those players — rare, apparently? — that doesn't exploit each every AI fraility, particularly if it offends real world sensibilities, at least from my viewpoint. To this end, I don't ship chain, and I don't double-stack dips or spies to keep them from being kicked out of enemy territory, I don't ring my cities with airbases to prevent AI aerial attacks, and I don't built airbases on the tops of frigid, snow-covered mountains because you can't do that IRL very often, if at all.

Gatekeeper

Comment

since you can fly around the world in less than 2 days, and ships can circumnavigate the world in several times in a year, I don't see any problem with using ship chains with reguards to real world travel. taking a couple millinium to circumnavigate the world is what doesn't make sense to me
                            Insert witty phrase here

Comment

OK, OK, so I feel sorry for the AI, except when it begins to insta-build wonders.

Comment

Working...
                              X