Hunger and high population cities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunger and high population cities

How do you solve the problem of not enough food with the higher population cities? Once I've played until near the end of the game, my cities all have 30+ population and not enough food. I don't have enough cities with extra food to caravan food supplies around. I've gone into cheat mode and made every city square as productive as possible, but with some cities it's not enough. Suggestions?

Beth

I try to get all the terrain squares producing as much food as possible, so I transform all the terrain into grassland, except for special squares such as wheat. Build Farmland on every square, and if you can spare food caravans do that. I too can only get cities up to about the 40 mark.

Comment

Don't grow bigger than needed.

Build a granary.It'll allow you to run food deficits for awhile.

Re-assign settlers/engineers.

I'm not sure I understand your problem.Size 30 is plenty big enough.

If you want to raise your score then start sending food caravans.You can grow cities to 120 something if you want.
      The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

I try to terraform the land so that I get an even amount of food, reguardless of whether there is a food shortage or not. From there I just build settlers/engineers to decrease city size and reassign/build new cities with them until the city is using exactly the food it produces. I usually count up all the odd-producing squares. If i get an odd number, I terraform before there is a problem. for example: plains = max 3 food with farmland, whales = max 3 food with harbor. grasslands = max 4 food with farmland. so a whale and a plains will cancel each other out, while a grassland will produce an even amount of food so can be essentially ignored when counting food. if you get an odd # of odd food squares, you need to do something eventually, if you get an even # of odd squares, you can let it grow normally
        Insert witty phrase here

Comment

Zeriah,

You are from Lake Charles too?

Playing with single production, the largest you can grow a single city too without food routes is about 42 or 43. If you use 2x production, food routes, or edit the rules you can grow a city as big as 127. After that is goes crazy do to the limit in city size.
          Visit the Civ/SMAC Seti Teams stats!

Comment

Ah yes! I had forgot about the wonderful oasis A definate plus when going for a large pop city.

Thanks for the tip about a 5-pattern special resource. I hadn't noticed this before, only the 4-pattern. Going to try it out!
            Visit the Civ/SMAC Seti Teams stats!

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by WhiteKnight on 07-13-2000 12:26 AM
              Playing with single production, the largest you can grow a single city too without food routes is about 42 or 43.

without food specials (>4 food) the max size is 42 => (4 food)x(21 squares) = (84 food) = (size 42 city))

with 4 wheat/oases (6 food), you can get to 46, and if you manage to get a 5 special pattern (even rarer - and only in round worlds i think), you can get to size 47.

------------------
              As your elected chieftain, I pledge to expand our tribe's power and influence so that we may become rulers of the region, and I, your warlord.

*sounds of applause and cheers*
              *chants of SCG! SCG! SCG!*
              Insert witty phrase here

Comment

Working...
              X