Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Abilities Does the AI Have in Civ II?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GP:

While I don't think "magic" cruise missile attacks exist literally — as in the AI materializing a missile next to your convoy and pounding away — where else would you see such attacks if you haven't adjusted the RULES.TXT file to make the missiles cheaper? Prior to the time I made the change, the AI would store a lot of missiles in its cities — even ones far, far from coastlines — and use them exclusively against ships. Now that I've made them cheaper ... well, the AI uses them much more liberally.

Gatekeeper
    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by SG(2)
      Combat becomes harder with each level but is still in favour of the human up to Prince. At King it's even. Playing Emperor/Deity progressively in favour of the AI.
      How many bottles did you drink before writing this?
      Barbs have the attack strength adjusted, but AI units?
      My tests say no in both SP and MP.
      Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

OK ST...is Chieftain any different?

SG(2)
        "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
        "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

no

(when did you study Info: combat last time?)

Comment

I don't tend to find the slide rule approach to combat useful, as the fractional differences are well within the broader random element of most battles. I know what I need to kill something...have a look at my recent log in the Mrs Mongol Game

BTW ... when did you actually last play/finish a game? Let's see if all this information gives you the edge...we'll sign you up for the next Succession Game

-----------------

SG(2)
            "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
            "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

GP points out a combat bonus at chieftain level. At all other levels, combat between human and AI is equal. The level difference is between humans and barbarians - progressively harder as you move up in levels.

The AI can cheat with tech theft if you have space flight - no number of veteran spies can thwart a lone diplomat from stealing your precious space techs.
              The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
              intelligence to few.

Comment

The AI has the ability to always choose the wrong option.
                Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

AH:

**evil laughter** Most definitely. I've had the pleasure of razing more than one civilization to the ground after their spy "successfully" stole something I really didn't want them to have.

Me: "Oh, so you want robotics that bad, eh? Well, here's 150 howitzers for ya, you bastards! Take it like a man, AI!!!!!!" (insert battle cry here)

Gatekeeper
                  "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by SG(2)
                    Let's see if all this information gives you the edge...we'll sign you up for the next Succession Game
                    I must finish the Campo game first...
                    Originally posted by Marquis
                    GP points out a combat bonus at chieftain level. At all other levels, combat between human and AI is equal.
                    Do you want to say you agree there is a difference at chieftain level?
                    Originally posted by SG[1]
                    At Deity all AI units can 'at times' act as Dips in as much as they can ignore ZoC and bribe Units - I have never seen a non-dip bribe a city.
                    I have heard this may happen also with lower difficulties: any experiences?

FYI: AI Shieldbox sizes: chieftain 15, warlord 13, prince 12, king 10, emperor 9, deity 8, superdeity ?

Comment

Originally posted by SlowThinker Do you want to say you agree there is a difference at chieftain level?
                      GP says it is so, I've only run a superficial test (20 tries). I won un unlikely amount. So, I'd say I won't discredit the idea, but would like to test it a hundred times more to see for sure.

intelligence to few.

Comment

Marquis, could you be more detailed about the test? Which units?

My test:
                        I ran 2 tries with equal units of 100 hitpoints participating in the combat: the surviving units ended almost dead.

Comment

I believe I just used 20 horsemen to attack an equal number of phalanx. Again, it was just an informal peek to see if it would warrant a real test. I think it does, and I'll get around to running one sometime soon.

intelligence to few.

Comment

Working...
                          X