Just got Civ1 - a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got Civ1 - a question

I just got the Windows version of Civ1 on a CD that came with the latest Computer Games magazine.

And I have a question. I don't have any music except on the opening "film." Do you have music on your version of Civ1? There aren't any building city scraping sounds, either, though there ocassional sounds for some things.

I love finally having this game that "began it all." But I miss having music.

Please tell me if the music just does not come with Civ1 or if something is wrong.

sboog

From what I remember, Civ 1 had no music past the credits.

When Civ 1 came out, the most common computer sound system was PC Speaker, and there's only so much electronic screeching people could take before they went berzerk

(I've still got the soundtrack to 'The Secret of Monkey Island' stuck in my head though)
    'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
    - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Each civ in civ 1 should have its own theme song (I still have it installed)

Yep. Still works.

Check out the theme for Stalin, you have to let it play a while. Genghis also has a pretty cool, if repetitive, theme.
      "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
      "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
      "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Re: Just got Civ1 - a question

Originally posted by sboog
        I don't have any music except on the opening "film." Do you have music on your version of Civ1? There aren't any building city scraping sounds, either, though there ocassional sounds for some things.
        such as what?

it is a DOS program, so DOS sound card drivers need to be correctly installed for it to work - not easy with many modern sound cards....

Comment

Re: Re: Just got Civ1 - a question

Originally posted by fluffy
          it is a DOS program, so DOS sound card drivers need to be correctly installed for it to work - not easy with many modern sound cards....
          Civ I should also run under Win 9x, so DOS drivers
          are not always necessary.
          "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Working...
          X