Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Democracy better than Fundamentalism?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Democracy better than Fundamentalism?

Frankly I found that in Civ II it was best to be either a Monarchy or a Fundamentalism... If I switched to Republic or Democracy then my people would riot... What are the advantages to playing as a Democracy versus the other styles?

The way I have been getting my wins in civ is beelining all military advances and getting to fundamentalism first, then declaring war on everyone and stealing all their techs and winning the game that way.
    -->Visit CGN!
    -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

how dull.

i used to be like you

if you switch to republic as soon as you get it and then set lux rate at a mimimum of 40% and dont wage war, you will find that your science rate is superior, and you have lots of we love you days. this means more growth. more growth means each town produces more taxes. this means that markets and banks uses have been more then trebled. more money, more scince. do the same with demorcracy and make sure to build mikes chapel, bachs, oracle, hanging garden, womens sufferage and any other happy wonders. so then in a democracy you can wage an offensive war. i puseh my enemies back all across europe like this, and had my space ship not landed before they even had nukes, i would have conquered the world. this was on prince mode btw, i am gonna attepmt this on king soon.

having said that, i still like the money you can make in a fudy, but you can make as much with banks in a dmeocracy.
    eimi men anthropos pollon logon, mikras de sophias

Comment

Fundamentalism is my favorite form of government, as its only weakness is no science, which can be overcome by allies or espionage. Andy-man, on diety level, people riot so much, fundy is pretty tempting... seeing as a democracy would be horribly unreliable and a republic would be too sensitive.

Other than diety, which cheats you a lot on happy citizens, his advice is sound.

Comment

I think democracy is better. You pile up the techs, trade earns the most gold of any government aside from fundie. Also because fundie is unfairly strong in CivII, methinks. 10 free units?! That's way too much. I've halved the number in my rules.txt... That said, I actually prefer communism in a conquest game.
        The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
        intelligence to few.

Comment

i dont think i have ever run inder communism EVER.

and units should cost gold, not production.... is there a way to change this in the rules.txt?

Comment

Marquis - despite what the rules say you only get 8 free units in fundy (deity) - and if you have built some fanatics you may not even get the 8 since the game engine seems to count the units for each city in order of build (and includes fanatics) to get your eight freebies and then charges for all non-fanatic units after that ...
            "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
            "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

but who builds fanatics when you have riflemen?

unless of course, you just took the city and need cheep reinenforcments.

Comment

Yes Andy - despite the fact that I love Fundy as my favourite government - I build few Fanatics - However, it is a perfectly viable strategy to use fanatics to shield starve an opposing democracy by the simple expedient of putting a Fanatic on each and every square of all their cities ...
                "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

i never thought of that

the only time i ever used fanatics was when (on chieftain) i was so technologically ahead, that they actually had a good offensive rating. i conquered the world

Comment

Another advantage of Democracy is your cities & armies can't be bribed.

I used to switch to Fundy for a good war, but it's more fun trying to bend the rules in Dem. You can kill off all units in the field & blast several cities down to 1 or no units before taking another city & have the Senate stop you. Keeps the other civ building units instead of Wonders. etc and makes them unhappy so cheap to bribe.

Comment

thats the only oher prob wuth demo. is the senate. i have had a massive army ready to blitz through to my enemies capital, and the damn senate calls a cease fire after i take the first city

Comment

Fanatics have almost the same #s as rifles.Just as good for me.A vet fanatic is good defender.If you go Fundy,then you might as well build them.Only 20 sheilds a piece.
                        The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

well for a democracy, you can declare war 50% of the time if you have the united nations wonder, right? i've always wondered if this really helps or not, seeing how you pretty much have to deal with the senate every time a city trades sides.
                          Project Leader of Civiliza, an Alternative Civilization game based on Civ 2.

Comment

GO WITH DEM!!!

Originally posted by dexter4dxm
                            well for a democracy, you can declare war 50% of the time if you have the united nations wonder, right? i've always wondered if this really helps or not, seeing how you pretty much have to deal with the senate every time a city trades sides.
                            It helps!!! If you successfully "continue" to wage war against a civ after the first city capture (i.e. the senate does NOT overrule you), then from that point on, the senate will back you the whole way. Never agree to listen to any of their diplomats and you can conquer a 50-city civ under a Democracy without any hassle.

And even if the senate does force you into peace, all you have to do is stack two diplomats or spies next to one of their cities and they will immediately attack them and declare war on you. Presto!

The ONLY way to wage war is with a Democratic gov't. Otherwise, your just wasting your resources. That is, your civ is researching at a higher rate, you're collecting tons of gold and your cities are packed with people. You'll be producing stealth fighters which, with the help of a single mech. inf. unit can capture five or more cities in one turn (depending on road/RR system).

I say STICK WITH DEMOCRACY!!!

Comment

If you are the biggest use dempocracy... yoou have no corruption, you can defend, you have the best science output... only if you decide to crush your enemies use Fundamentalism, but before that be demoratic since it pays off.
                              Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                              GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Working...
                              X