Civ 2 MGE latest version?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ 2 MGE latest version?

I recently purchased a (new) copy of Civ 2 Gold (win 95) and would like to verify that I am running the latest version (1.3 right?). How do I determine the version that I have installed? The help menu didn't seem to show it anywhere. Also, I want to ensure that the version I run is compatible with the majority of other civ 2 players (for multi-play), so what version of Civ 2 MGE are the majority of civ players using?
    Nethog

Different versions of the game are prefectly compatible providing you're all using the same generation of the patch. The most recent PC patch is 1.3. Actually finding it anywhere these days seems to be the problem. Oh, and just to make life a bit more complicated, each version of the game has its own version of the patch.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Finbar, thanks for the info, however I still don't know how to tell which version of Civ 2 Gold I have. I was able to find the 1.3 patch on the Civfanatics website, but I was wondering If my version of Civ 2 gold is already patched to 1.3. Does anyone know how to determine the patch version of Civ 2 gold? The obvious "Help, About..." just gives me the developer credits roster.
      Nethog

Comment

Hi Nethog and welcome

open up any game and click on Game|Game Options and look at the top bar of the window that now pops up - it should say v5.0.4 - which is the 1.3 patch

Good civin'
        "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
        "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Scouse Gits, thanks. My game options window says "Civilization II Multiplayer Gold 5.2.5f Multiplayer 16-November 98". Although this is a higher version number then the V5.0.4 you stated, I thought that the 1.3 patch was released in 1999?
          Nethog

Comment

Sorry, Nethog, - stupid transcription error - or too much red wine ...
            The 'latest version' with which I am familiar is v5.4.0f -- or exactly "Civilization II Multiplayer Gold 5.4.0f Multiplayer 26-March-99 Patch 3"

Think I got it right this time ...

If you have any problem finding the patch it is here ... mge-ucc_v13.exe
            "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
            "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Scouse Gits: Thanks! I am up running Civ 2 gold patched with 5.4.0f.

By the way, I found out that you can still download the 1.3 patch directly from a *Microprose* ftp server using ftp://ftp.microprose.com/pub/mps-onl...UCCUpdate3.exe

Thanks again.
              Nethog

Comment

Working...
              X