When can improvements be safely sold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When can improvements be safely sold?

I know I've seen threads about selling improvements, but maybe some of you deities can succinctly elucidate when specific improvements can be sold safely.

Thanks.
    Your Obedient Serpent

The easiest answer is when you build or capture a wonder that makes them obsolete. E.g. you capture the pyramids, sell all your granaries - unless you don't expect to be able to defend your new wonder, of course. Also, be aware that some wonders themselves go obsolete - don't sell all your city walls after capturing the Great Wall, as you might have to rebuild them later.

When to sell improvements not affected by a wonder is not as clear cut. As always, it depends on the game circumstances. If your city is not going to be able to grow anymore, you don't need an acqueduct...
    The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
    intelligence to few.

Comment

Any improvement (not including wonders) can be sold.
      If you pay attention, they don't even have a negative impact.

I.E
      Once your city is to the maximum size, (choice or resource limitation) Sell aquaduct and sewer.

Once you've started developing Future Techs, and not interested in the slight increase in score.
      Sell libraries and Universities.

Once you've built Shake's Theater.
      Sell happiness improvements. (unless you're collecting on them in fundy)

If you build the war academy.
      Sell your barracks in cities not likely to be attacked before the next tech will sell them anyway. (i.e. Gunpowder)

Once you've built Pyramids.
      Sell all your Graneries.

There are many more examples.
      And I'm sure people will take the time to list them for you.

If the city is going to be captured,
      Sell the most expensive improvement. (or the city wall if you plan on trying to take it back soon)

If you're trying to starve one of your cities to disband it.
      Sell an improvement every turn.

RAH

Just remember, you can only sell one a turn.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

To be specific

Pyramids: granary
        Michelangelo's Chapel: cathedral
        Women's Suffrage: police station
        Hoover Dam: any type of power plant
        SETI Program: research lab
        Shakespeare's Theatre: temple, colosseum, cathedral in that city only
        "Cease fire! Please! Cease fire. What a dreadful waste of ammunition!" -- General Horatio Herbert Kitchener
        --

Comment

Good recap Rah... but I'm surprised you didn't mention one of your favorite times to sell an improvement...

If you're just short of cash to buy/build a key wonder, think of those city improvements as just another source of revenue. I'll disband units in the wonder building city, sell improvements anywhere, even if I still need them. In MP games, that one turn can sometimes make a big difference
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Also - it is safe to sell (at least in the Wonder city) the turn before the wonder is built - hence having pushed the last caravan into, say, Shake's - you can now sell the colosseum - the red faces that appear are never counted ...
            "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
            "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

If you build a solar plant you can sell a re-cycling centre. Although I find that at this stage I am usually cash rich and scientifically advanced enough to go straight to solar plant without having had time to build the re-cycling centre.

Comment

Working...
              X