Newb needs help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newb needs help

hey, whenever I try to open a downloaded scenerio the comp gives me this message, "cannot open game: game not a saved file." I don't know what's up, I open the .scn file when I choose play scenerio. Help is appreciated.

Are you trying to open it as "Load game" rather than "Begin scenario"?
    "Life is like a bag of Revells - you're always searching for The Orange One"

Comment

the man has said it - you should also ensure that you have the correct version of the game to match the scenario you wish to play ...

------------------
      Scouse Git[1]

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
      "The Great Library must be built!"
      "A short cut has to be challenging,
      were it not so it would be 'the way'."
      - Paul Craven
      "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
      "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by mriswrith on 02-27-2001 08:24 PM
        hey, whenever I try to open a downloaded scenerio the comp gives me this message, "cannot open game: game not a saved file." I don't know what's up, I open the .scn file when I choose play scenerio. Help is appreciated.

Have you unzipped the scenario file? When you download from the net, the files are compressed in a program called 'zip'. If you don't have winzip (zip for windows), you can get it free. Just search for 'winzip' download. After you download the scenario you want, open the zip file and remove the files contained within it. The thing to do with windows is to make a folder on your desktop. Name it after the scenario you have downloaded. Place all the files you remove from the zip into this folder, except any with the designation .wav. These are sound files. Make a seperate folder for these, and it must be titled sound. Place this folder inside your scenario folder. When you have done all of this, start your civ-2 game, select scenario, but scroll down the area that says LOOK IN, and select desktop. then search the desktop, and you will see the folder which you named. Click on it, and it will open, and select the file that has a designation .scn. That is the scenario file. Some scenarios only work with fantastic worlds(usally because the author hex edits), and some only work with Multi-player Gold(because the events file is too long for FW to handle). When I first started to play scenarios, I had the problem you describe. I think this is the answer you need. If not, post again, and I'll try to help you get it working.

------------------
        All knowledge begins with the phrase: I don't know.
        I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
        i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

thanks all. Well, I went back and tried a couple more of the scenerios i downloaded, and actually got one to play, so I am guessing that the problem is i dont have Gold edition or fantastic worlds (Cause i just patched my Civ2) so I just want to know if i can download fantastic worlds or not. (or even Gold, though I know you are supposed to buy it...)
          appreciate the help

Comment

Working...
          X