What's your favorite civ and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your favorite civ and why?

Just wondering what you other folks choose to play as. I like the greeks for a couple of reasons. one is I'm greek myself. Another is I get a good feeling of history from names of cities like Delphi and Pylos.
    I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
    i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

I like the Romans, because I've studied a lot of Roman history.

I also often play as one of the purple civs, because I hate having to play against any of them.

-GeoDan

Comment

I personally don't like the yellow. They just look to happy and bright
      I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Geography Dan on 01-16-2001 03:56 AM
        I also often play as one of the purple civs, because I hate having to play against any of them.

Hey, I do that too! (But only as the Sioux; I hate the others too much). I also play as the Romans so that I won't have to play against the Russians, which is just as lame. But the civs I actually like being are the Americans and the English (because I can keep the names of their cities straight) and most of all the Persians (both because I live in part of the old Persian empire and because they are a perfectionist civ and thus generally get starting techs I like).

------------------
        Dig trenches, with our men being killed off like flies? There isn't time to dig trenches. We'll have to buy them ready made. Here, run out and get some trenches.
        -- Rufus T. Firefly, the original rush-builder
        [This message has been edited by Rufus T. Firefly (edited January 16, 2001).]
        "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

most of the time, i play as the americans, cause i am american, or i'll play as the romans, cause i think they are the most friggin awesome real world civillization in history.
          "our words are backed by nuclear weapons"
          "oh, yeah. well, our nukes are backed by 100%money back guarantee, so there."

Comment

My personnal favorite are the Egyptians. The bright yellow makes cities nice to see on the mini map.

Otherwise my usual order of preference goes:

1) egyptian
            2) French
            3) Roman
            4) American

BTW cpoulos, nice to see a few more New Yorkers playing civ lately.
            [This message has been edited by suas333 (edited January 16, 2001).]

Comment

Good topic, cpoulos!

I like the Carthaginians, Hannibal's got his own unit . Have you noticed that some of those rude diplomats carry swords and guns to your throne room? Tsk, tsk.

Comment

Since the following game, I very often play the purple. It was an OCC one, Prince level, where I was a bit fooling around on a gigamap as the Mongols. My AI friends were quite far away and a lot of sailing was required for my trade. By the middle of the 20th century, the seas were as secure as a Chicago street in the 1930’s which explained why I had a real task-force to go along with my Transports full of freight. So long an introduction to tell you that I had 2 battleships and an aircraft carrier with bombers and fighters and helicopters not too far away from the French capital when it launched a spaceship just before me ! Damn ! and it was a fast one ! The only solution was to seize the capital, but that is not allowed with OCC rule. And that’s where destiny helped me ! There were a few barbarians near Paris. I threw everything against the city and it fell down and the Barbarians walked in and the ship went back to earth and mine took off, and I won the race. It remains one of my most stunning civ2 stunt. What has the purple to do with that ? Well, I had been the French and the French had been me, the Mongol would have played before the Barbarians and it would not have worked, as in the game, where the Barbarians played before the French. Forever grateful for that miraculous save, I like to choose the purple ones.

Besides : I like the purple color and when I play the extended original in ToT, I like to play the extraterrestrials and invade earth like in all those lo sci-fi books. So purple, purple and purple !

------------------
                Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe
                Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe

Comment

ROME RULES EVERY GAME. and only a world covered in innocent white is a good world, hehe

------------------
                  god made weed.....you don´t really think he fails sometimes?

weed god, chief of EUROPA
                  visit EUROPA: www.multispieler.de
                  weird god, EUROPA

Comment

I almost always play the Romans. I just seem to have better (more fun) games when I play them. They've also got the longest list of city names of any civ. I've played them often enough to become familiar with the city names, and I know it's been a good city building game when "Bagacum" gets built.

Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                    I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

I know it's been a good city building game when "Bagacum" gets built.

[/QUOTE]

Is that really a city name the computer gives a city!!!i'm surprised that they didn't censor that

"bagacum", ha, if i ever start a real life country, that is going to be my capital

------------------
                      [This message has been edited by Smokey tha nuke man (edited January 16, 2001).]

Comment

I play purple and purple only as the Mongols, The Mongolian Horde, or just The Horde. The Mongols were the largest spanning empire in the world and i like to apply that principle to civ especially MP whenever possible... you didn't expect anything else did you

------------------
                        Back from hell....i have nothing to lose
                        Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

MOst of the time I play the greeks, french, egyptians and celts.
                          After some thinking I have come to realize that these are the civs that I feel more.. closely to according to my own twisted judgement.

Greeks: well I feel close 'cause I am own of them ! and I think they are appropriate to an early start.

French, I like their opposition (however sovinistic) to some aspects of today's civs. Plus french revolution and humanistic principles are my moto in real life. (which seem to be strangely forgotten when I am engaged in world conquest ) France seem to piss off the modern world pretty much which I also like and it's always fun to play and think they are always there to irritate everybody! (like the fly on the butt of that old lithargic horse that was Athens in Plato's tales).

Egyptians: Ancient Egypt and tales bordering the realm of myth like the Alexandria's Library always held a mystic over me. It's like a close but yet «exotic» civ to me.

Celts: They are funny! To my mind and from what I have heard (I almost know nothing about them really) they seem like ancient revolutionaries. Also it brings to mind paganism and before christianity cults that were so much different from the greek ones I already know.

Comment

i play as the zulus. i renamed them the barbarians and i get the barbarian city names.
                            Enjoy the war while you can, the peace will be terrible

Comment

Losts of different civs, but i notice that except for the americans and french most like the older civs. Does anyone like to play as the english? or the germans? Hoe about the chinese? I always like to see them around.

Comment

Working...
                              X