Using Modern Units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to defend the helicopter

I agree helicopters are quite expensive and way too fragile. But, if I am not wrong, they're the only air unit that can capture a city. As they have a long range, it can be quite useful to occupy cities that have been attacked by your bombers and are not linked to railroads.

I know it's not the best strategy, but I like an aircraft carrier or two to go with my transports. Bombers are very efficient and helicopters patrols around a convoy are a very good way to spot the ennemy from far away. Then the bombers take business.

I've played quite a lot of SP games with Gigamaps and small continents ...
    Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe

Comment

Re: Trying to defend the helicopter

Originally posted by Julius Brenzaida
      I agree helicopters are quite expensive and way too fragile. But, if I am not wrong, they're the only air unit that can capture a city. As they have a long range, it can be quite useful to occupy cities that have been attacked by your bombers and are not linked to railroads.

I know it's not the best strategy, but I like an aircraft carrier or two to go with my transports. Bombers are very efficient and helicopters patrols around a convoy are a very good way to spot the ennemy from far away. Then the bombers take business.

I've played quite a lot of SP games with Gigamaps and small continents ...
      The problem with taking a city with a heli is that the partisans that appear will crush the helicopter next turn. Now, if the heli didn't expend all its movement in taking the city, it would be a different story.

I need to devise some small continent/giga map games so that I can make carriers useful. Normally, it's easier just to use Engineers to build airbases.
      "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
      "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

You can follow the heli with some Fighters on one-way trips; clean up the Partisans and land in the new city, assuming you know it wont be taken back right away. Can you Para-transport into a new city without Airport, or do you have to drop next door and walk in?

Comment

Drop in adjacent and walk in.

I always thought it odd that one couldn't parachute into a city, but then again Civ2 planes can't do flyovers, either -- they must land or attack.
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Are you sure? I could swear that an undefended city could be captured by paratroops by landing directly in it.
            "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
            "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Yes, you can paradrop into an empty city. You can also march all around them too, i.e. empty AI cities do not generate ZOC.

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Gits
                Has not the bomber stack been outlawed as an exploit?

Stu
                News to me -- but then I was willing to rehome caravans until I was told that is 'just not done'.
                Those with lower expectations face fewer disappointments

Comment

Originally posted by gunkulator
                  Yes, you can paradrop into an empty city. You can also march all around them too, i.e. empty AI cities do not generate ZOC.
                  I could swear this was among my early learnings (like, first time I got paratroops, building them to see what they could do)...

But I'm old and, lately, of frail mind...

Will confirm during upcoming turnset.
                  RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Could be a Mac-thing bunnyman - you most certainly can paradrop into empty enemy cities and any friendly city in range ...

Stu
                    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Originally posted by Old n Slow

News to me -- but then I was willing to rehome caravans until I was told that is 'just not done'.

That's your "bad habits" from CFC GOTM shining through...

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Gits
                        Could be a Mac-thing bunnyman - you most certainly can paradrop into empty enemy cities and any friendly city in range ...

Stu
                        Probably just another Senior Moment.

Nice avatar, Stu!

Comment

Re: Re: Trying to defend the helicopter

Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
                          I need to devise some small continent/giga map games so that I can make carriers useful. Normally, it's easier just to use Engineers to build airbases.
                          Six, et all,

Could you expand on this, please?? How to use airbases?? Thanks

Monk
                          so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

It's a "senior moment," -Jrabbit. I've always been able to parachute directly into evil enemy cities that have had their defenders blown out of existence.

Gatekeeper
                            "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

There is a bug in Civ 2 that means you can paradrop into a city and then paradrop again immediately afterwards, without using up your movement point.

Comment

Originally posted by duke o' york
                                There is a bug in Civ 2 that means you can paradrop into a city and then paradrop again immediately afterwards, without using up your movement point.
                                Which version, Duke?? Have you changed anything??

In my Civ242 and MPGE this is not the case.

You would get a box saying, "This p'trooper has already moved this turn. A p'trooper may only p'drop at the beginning of its turn."

One really must strive to use the current versions don't you think??

Monk
                                so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

Working...
                                X