Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Civ 2 in XP

hi Folks.

I am having problems running Ciiv 2 on XP.

The game installs OK but when you try to run it you get the message "cannot find commctrl.dll" followed by "cannot find dciman.dll"

Anyone any idea as to how I fix this. I'm not sure if there is a patch available somewhere or wot!

Thanks in anticipation

R

i run civ2 under XP with no problems such as you describe... did you do a full install ?
    GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

yep.

the strange thing is up until a few weeks ago it ran fine now, all of a sudden it's all turned to custard - very strange!

Comment

no one been palying with comp ?? maybe a virus or something ?
        GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Likely you have uninstalled soemthing lately which uses those files and they were uninstalled along with it. Just do a google search for the files and download them. Most likely they go in your Windows\system\ folder
          Cedric's Civilization 2 Page, Home of the FW, MGE, and ToT Patches

Comment

Yup - Cedric's got it right...
            "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
            "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

I too have tried to get Civ2 running on XP, specifically Test of Time. It installs fine, but when I try to play the splash screen comes up, then goes, then nothing. Any thoughts?
              Up the Irons!
              Rogue CivIII FAQ!
              Odysseus and the March of Time
              I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

No idea. I've both Civ2 MGE and Civ2 TOT working perfectly on my Windows XP.
                Trying to rehabilitateh and contribuing again to the civ-community

Comment

Have you installed WinG? i remember it came in the CD and that the game did not work without it, though it's been a long time since i've had to istall it...
                  Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Only for speaking, I've started to suffer a problem.

my civ2 isn't working anymore. The cities doesn't open!!!! Reinstalling don't solve the problem...

Any ideas? Please, help me

Comment

More information here:

I have just re-installed civ 2 on XP (it was working fine before on XP) but when I start the game and build a city, the city window doesn't appear. I have tried clicking on the city icon but the window still doesn't appear. Any help please?

Comment

Originally posted by zulu9812
                        I too have tried to get Civ2 running on XP, specifically Test of Time. It installs fine, but when I try to play the splash screen comes up, then goes, then nothing. Any thoughts?
                        I don't know about Civ2 under XP, but i had your same problem with Test of Time on XP, luckily i was able to solve it running the game into Win2000 compatibility mode:

Right–click the civ2.exe in Tot folder.
                        Click "Properties".
                        Click "Compatibility" tab.
                        Check "Run this program in compatibility mode" and select "Windows 2000" from the combo box.

Leave unchecked other options and Tot should work well (at least this is what it did for me), hope this helps.

Greetings,
                        Angelo
                        "If it works, it's obsolete."
                        -- Marshall McLuhan

Comment

Problem solved. After disabling one by one all the applications that load at the start and all the services (run msconfig and go to services) I discover that the problem was caused by the service "themes". Disabling this service, although makes Windows XP looks uglier, is an effective solution.

I'll search more solutions, however.

Comment

Have you downloaded all the latest Windows updates?
                            ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                            ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Working...
                            X