Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone up for a patched succession game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just as a quick point: what do you mean by pathfinding?

Is this being able to see over two squares away, like spies and ships can, or is it being able to treat all squares as road, like explorers and partisans?

You also seem to think that Jungle should reduce your defence! Try fighting partisans in the jungle, and you may find that it takes far longer than you first thought Mr Kennedy.
    What does the movement next to all the terrain types mean? That horsemen can only travel at the same rate as warriors? Not a good idea.
    What have you ever found in the jungle/swamp to offer more trade than a river grassland?
    Bombardment doesn't exist in Civ 2.
    If Marco Polo's doesn't expire then you have two wonders that do exactly the same thing. What's the point of that?
    Sorry, have answered these backwards, but I'm using the Quick Reply window, and keep scrolling up to comment. I hope you wanted robust constructive criticism.

Comment

That's not even close to robust, but thanks anyway

In order:

1) By pathfinding I mean "treat all terrain as roads" (old MoM term)
      2) Jungles and Swamps contain incredibly rich flora and fauna. As for the defense thingy, I know it's not terribly realistic. However, the way it works is that an invasion force that is not used to guerilla warfare (doesn't have pathfinding) will have to penetrate the jungle one move at a time, exposing itself to rapid counter attacks from partisans and the like. From a gameplay perspective, I'd like some terrain types where you actually lose defence.
      3) By bombardment I mean "ignore city walls"
      4) This is just a convenience thingy, it's not really important. However, the primary function of the UN is to prevent the senate from intervening and to force the enemy into cease fires, so it won't be redundant if you have MPE.

Comment

Still Civ won't let you pick when the defensive bonus is applicable. It's fine for you to be at a disadvantage when you are being attacked from the jungle, but if you're phalanx in the jungle and are being attacked by knights from the plains then that'd give you a much better chance of defending yourself than if you were on the plains too. It's not possible to take account of each of these possibilities so mounted troops are diadvantaged by losing movement in forests, rahter than losing attacks, etc. As far as I'm concerned then the Civ 2 program as it is is the best option, apart from the damned caravans!

Comment

Originally posted by Sore Loser
          You wouldn't have to relearn Civ. As I understand the concept of succession games, one of the main points is that it lets players yell at the other players for their complete and utter foolishness in everything they do. Think about when you first learned to play Civ. Wasn't it more magical back then? Wasn't it more intense? In my experience, the magic fades once all the discoveries are made. I read a post here to the effect of "Will anyone worship the mysterious lady now that her secrets are all revealed?", and I think it holds true.

EDIT: I just looked up the Nicosar thread, quite an impressive read. You were all a bit hard on him, even if he was a bit (very) pompous.
          I disagree. With succession games (lately, anyway), what we've been doing is adding a restriction to the existing rules - like 'no building Settlers' or 'no foot units' or even 'move on diagonals only/research techs alphabetically/revolt every 4 turns/etc'.

The thing that makes these games different from what you're proposing, is that outside of the one (or eight!) restrictions, the game plays the same way and the same general strategies will work. In the silly rules game, we know that a Caravan can always be delivered to get some kind of return on it, for example. We know that a fortified Rifleman will win against a Dragoon. We know that Navigation is a desirable tech, because new Caravels won't sink. So, we've made the game harder, but it's essentially still playable in the way we know how to play it. Too many changes, and almost none of the usual strategies will work... thus, the game is essentially a new game.

Your modpack (and that's what it is) does require a player to learn new rules and basically play a new game, much like a scenario like Red Front would.

(simple examples... with attack/def 3/2 and all-terrain capability, might not an archer be a better offensive unit than a horseman? Will the warrior/horse defence work against barb archers the way it does now?

...or... normally I build caravans as the default production choice. Seems to me that if you can't build wonders with caravans, and if you can't find a city with the right demand/supply match, caravans are much less useful.)

Robust constructive criticism is part of the fun, yes, but I doubt anyone would want to be part of a game which they have to muddle through, trying to figure out how the rules affect the way the game is played, and then be 'criticized' for their mistakes. Look at past succession game threads... you'll see that players who are less familiar with civ (the newbies, or the players who are comfortable on King level, for example) are typically very reluctant to play a game (on Deity) which everyone else is very familiar with.
          "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
          "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

You raise two important points:

1) Units in jungles bordering open terrain are exposed to attacks

True. One way of looking at it is that you aren't able to hide properly in the outskirts of the jungle. Again, I'm not using the realism argument to back up my ideas. The problem here is that most jungles in the game are very small, meaning that the "defensive" bonus will rarely apply. That can be dealt with by making larger ones.

2) Mounted troops are impaired by forests

Isn't this the way it should be (and the way it already is in the default file)? The 50% defense bonus is hardly significant when you consider the usually poor defense ratings of mounted troops, and their movement advantage is nullified. Infantry, however, generally have better a defense rating and don't have their movement impaired.

My main point with jungles and swamps is to make pathfinding (light infantry) units more useful as guerilla soldiers. The balance, as I see it, is thus:

Heavy cavalry units are strong in open terrain, weak in closed terrain. They benefit the most from roads.

Heavy infantry are strong in most closed terrain except jungles and swamps. They benefit from roads, but not as much as heavy cavalry.

Light infantry are decent in open terrain (only decent because their off rating is mediocre), decent in closed terrain (because def is also less than heavy inf) and really good in jungles and swamps.

All of this needs more tinkering...

Comment

I'm with STYOM here - this is a different game

Perhaps a very interesting, good game, but nonetheless a different one.

I have several years of experience playing civ2 - do I want to make that investment again in SL1 ?

Stu
              "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
              "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

STYOM, thank you for your robust constructive criticism, you state your points very clearly. From your description of succession games, I think I understand your opposition a little better now.

The point about my proposed game requiring fundamentally different strategies is correct. You cannot assume that the unit strength balance you have learned will do you much good, you'll have to evaluate the units individually and see what suits your needs best.

I take it, then, that your argument is (like SG) that having to learn a whole new game balance detracts from your gaming experience. So the difference between this succession game and others is the degree of change. You can deal with some change without having to change your mindset completely, too much change requires too much adaption, which is a strain on your mental reserves (not intended as an insult).

Am I following you so far?

Comment

I'll overlook the insult.

Let me try another tack. You have a pretty good idea how to play this new game, having devised it. You probably have played at least a couple of games all the way through (at least; I hope this has been playtested to some extent).

How do you expect the rest of us to learn how to play a new game, from scratch, playing 10 turns out of every eighty (which is how succession games are played)? By the time anyone has an inkling of what strategy will work, their turns will be over, and someone else will go through the same process. Eighty turns later, the initial player will be facing an entirely different situation and will have to try to re-learn what to do.

In the past, I had suggested a Red Front (RF) succession game. If you aren't familiar with RF, it's a very well designed scenario - and very highly thought of by scenario players and designers. I didn't get much response here, and I was sort of disappointed by that (as you seem to be). However... if you haven't played Red Front, it's very confusing. The unit values are all different. The terrain values are all different. What used to work, doesn't. Roads and railroads don't work the same way. Trade doesn't work the same way. I played RF all the way through the first time, and made some incredibly dumb mistakes, simply because I kept forgetting not to do things the regular civ2 way. I can now see why people who have never played RF wouldn't want to play a RF succession game. And at the very least, RF is at least something we can all try out, before agreeing to a succession game. On the other hand, you're asking us to commit to a succession game using your modpack, without any of us having played even one turn with your rules...

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                  "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

It really wasn't intended as an insult, note that English isn't my first language.

As for your argument, I'm actually beginning to understand it. Because of the fractured sessions, noone will ever get close to a real understanding of the game balance, and they will have to adapt to new units and improvements on every new session. Agreed.

However, let me use your previous argument against you:

the game plays the same way and the same general strategies will work. In the silly rules game, we know that a Caravan can always be delivered to get some kind of return on it, for example. We know that a fortified Rifleman will win against a Dragoon. We know that Navigation is a desirable tech, because new Caravels won't sink. So, we've made the game harder, but it's essentially still playable in the way we know how to play it
                    My claim is that this would hold true for my game as well. Building settlers lets you build more cities, which is good, or improving your terrain which is good. Building caravans when you have vacant trade routes and the commodity is demanded somewhere is good. Units with a high movement allowance make good explorers for open terrain, units with pathfinding make excellent explorers for all types of terrain. It isn't as extreme as it might seem. I don't know anything about the RF scenario, but given that it is a scenario I gather that it would be a lot more different from a regular game than what I'm proposing. What do you suggest I do then? Give up? Go to another forum? Moderate the rules? Shut up (unlikely as that is)?

EDIT: You're free to try out my modpack, of course. I posted the rules.txt, and that's all there is to it. I do lack graphics for pioneers and rangers, I've gotten used to zeppelins and balrogs myself

EDIT2: Personally, I would enjoy playing a succession game of Red Front, if it is indeed as good as its reputation. Provided that most of the other players were equally clueless, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Sore Loser Go to another forum?
                      I'm not telling you to leave; however, you might get more takers in the Scenario League and/or Creation forums.

I had to laugh at the accusations of being 'conservative'. We're Civ2 players! We're playing a 7 year old game! Of course we're conservative! Otherwise, we'd all be somewhere else, playing Age of Empires II or Vice City or something...

Comment

I don't see anything conservative about being faithful to a game. After all, your playing style and knowledge of the game have continually improved. I've been playing pool on a serious level for four years now and am not about to run out of challenges anytime soon. Besides, you keep coming up with variants for the game in the form of succession games, scenarios and diplo games. I'm merely attempting to provide a variant, not to change the game.

As I understand it, the quality of SXN is that it doesn't require the same sacrifices that MP does, yet it plods along at a considerably faster pace than PBEM. Assuming this is true, my question is why you flat out refuse a variant before trying it? If specific parts of the pack bother you in particular then anything is subject to change.

Comment

Sore Loser --

I glanced through your rules.txt, more intensively through the units, much less so regarding the terrain.

My recommendation would be to explore this as a scenario, perhaps seeking other help for graphics, packaging etc. The play balance among units is moderately different, narrowing the range between the extremes as far as I can tell -- If I read your hit points & fire power columns correctly, modern units don't seem to gain significantly over older units.

This may be intentional (fewer tanks per battalion, for instance), or it may be an oversight. I know that in gameplay it is a BIG difference in that the firepower of tanks = 1 and arty = 2, thus tanks are rarely in my combat portfolio in the late stages of the game.

I agree with SG [1] and STYOM's comments regarding the 'fixed cost' to learn a game -- not only is it real, but there is a significant cost to learn and play a game well.

You may want to consider "phasing" in differences, perhaps one at a time.

For example, an succesion game might simply be one where the ai has access to "Uber" units -- maybe a few redefined that players agree they can live without: Say phalanx = 1 att/ 3 def; legion = 6 att/ 3 def; ironclads = 7 att/7 def; subs = 20 att/6 def, fp = 3; tanks = 18 att/ 8 def, fp =2. (You may want to leave the legions alone due to potential barbs, but this is just an example.)

Players would agree to never build these type of units (and perhaps not even bribe them) - we're now limited by having fewer options and challenged by facing a more powerful set of enemies. By allowing the ai Uber units, we may see them a) avoided altogether, b) grossly misused or c) a tremendous and enjoyable challenge.

Hmmm I think the possibilities here might be worth exploring a bit further...
                          Those with lower expectations face fewer disappointments

Comment

Another point that this particular 56 year old conservative has at the back of his mind is whether the rules changes are actually balanced. We know that in Civ II there are a lot of strategic decisions that are very finely balanced. The only one that seems really out of line is the power of the caravan to generate beakers, gold and build wonders. There is a risk that with so many changes rules.txt, we take the trouble to work our way through what sounds like a very different game, and then some clever person (living in Seattle?) discovers a killer strategy that guarantees a win.

(In any case, I'm personally still not good enough at the game as is to want to try a radically different version.)

RJM at Sleeper's
                            Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

Originally posted by rjmatsleepers
                              We know that in Civ II there are a lot of strategic decisions that are very finely balanced.
                              Aaargh. You are a happy man. I am upset from those imperfections always I play a game.
                              Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

Sore Loser
                                If you manage to start a game, you have at least one player willing to play: the name is La Fayette

I have been playing mostly scenarios during the last 2 years, precisely because I enjoy the undefatigable pleasure of discovery, surprise (even nasty), new units, new graphics, new objectives ...

But most players also have a life outside civ2

... they cannot afford to learn a new game every week.
                                Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

Working...
                                X