Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ2 and Windows XP

And now for one of my rare posts outside of the SLeague and PBEM forums

Last night, I received a mail by somebody who asked me if I could help him. He can't run Civ2 under Windows XP. The mail was in German, and I can't translate the problem. For all German-speakers, here's the text of the mail:

bei meinem windows-xp heisst es auf einmal: Stapelspecherfehler, civ2 wird
    beendet.

Could anybody tell me what kinds of problems XP can cause with Civ2, and how they can be solved?
    Follow the masses!
    30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Well, there's the CPU usage problem, it's supposed to be able to be fixed by messing around with the compatibility mode.

Also there is the problem of using batch files switch .txts and .gifs for scenarios. But you can download a program that makes them work again. I'll go look for the link.

EDIT: here's the thread discussing the batch files problem with the program you need. http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=76483

Comment

Hm... thanks, H Tower... but that doesn't seem to be it. But maybe this helps; I've just gotten the translation for "Stapelspeicher", it's stack memory. He's saying there's an error with the stack memory, and Civ2 is being closed.
      Which leaves me, personally, still in the dark, but maybe somebody can enlighten me...
      Follow the masses!
      30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Comment

Not much help from that error message:
        "By my Windows-XP it said once: stack memory failure, civ2 will be ended(closed)".
        Hope that helps.

Comment

I run all versions ov civ2/3 on windows xp-home without any problems. I suggest getting windows and directx updated along with civ2 updates. Windows xp needs memory, 256meg should be ok.

Comment

may need to update indeo video drivers and codecs which are necessary to correct the "-3ICDecompress" error found in newer versions of Windows

can do so at cedrics page

Discover the latest breaking news in CA and around the world — politics, weather, entertainment, lifestyle, finance, sports and much more.
            Hold my girlfriend while I kiss your skis.

Comment

Working...
            X