X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Old n Slow
    I remember a post where on player was getting four or five techs per turn

Summer joke.
    There are also a few braggers posting to Apolyton.

(no one should feel compelled to believe them: no gurus please, no gurus please, no gurus )
    Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

• It's pretty difficult to get more than 1 tech per turn. I think that I may have accomplished that a couple of times when I first started playing civ2 and had the discipline and desire to micromanage every minutia. I would agree with Lafayette, however, and not feel compelled to believe those braggarts.
      No greater love has one than to lay down their life for a friend.

Comment

• LF ... the wonderful Goat's cheese.

The most advances I have ever managed was three for one year. More would be possible if Darwin's was delayed to the Hyper Trade window (After Automobile but before Flight) and everything was built in the right order.

LOG

Thanks Old n'Slow It's a complex game but I can understand your strategy. I love that long shipchain which must have taken effort to establish I'm not at all worried that you forgot to buy Offshore Platforms as the gold saved will pay for Superhighways. Disappointed that Automobile isn't discovered. I realise we have Leo's but the benefits of this advance are too good to ignore.
        1) Superhighways
        2) Battleships where appropriate to storm coastal towns
        3) Opens the tech tree for Mobile Warfare. Armour's three movement power would be useful on a map short of roads

Genetic Engineering Atomic Theory, Flight and Refrigeration offered Choose the last one.
        With the Lux Rate lowered to 40% from 70% only two cities fall out of celebrations.
        Calcutta reinforced;
        Gems/Salt/Dye to Bangalore 578/482/1232;
        Tugela bribed for 556 - 64 back
        Marseille captured 42 plundered
        Paris captured 17 plundered
        Huts - Fanatic/Tribe West Poitiers

Refrigeration > Automobile
        Wine to Kaifeng - 265; Cloth to Rheims 156; Gems to Bangalore 658; Gold to Delhi 1540
        Orleans captured 57 plundered
        Rheims captured 56 plundered
        The French have one city - Tours
        Tribe - Deep South

Automobile > Mobile Warfare
        With Leo's defunct it's still good policy to bribe Settlers. Whilst they won't turn into Egineers there are many strategic points on the map where "Canal Cities" will save turns of sailing
        Cure for Cancer in Cul-de-Sac
        Salt to Ningpo 102;
        Hut 50g. Things seemed a little quiet until a captain of a wandering transport noticed "happy hour" at Yangchow. The Chinese refused to give tribute and offered war. A spy offered 550 for the place and received 98 plunder.

Construction of Superhighways in Rhodes and other cities.
        Wine to Karachi 1260; Dye to Bangalore 1652; (Both these freights saw their home towns build Superhighways the previous year)
        Delhi + Pyramids captured - 135 plundered. (10 Granaries sold)
        My initial reaction to the game was to use the long Indian ship chain to begin the elimination of the purples. However, after enjoying the benefits of some hefty trade returns to this continent there is a strong case for preserving their mega cities a bit longer. In effect these freight bonuses will finance all our other wars as well as keeping science active! Delhi/Pyramids was too much of a target to be ignored. It allows manipulation of unblocking supply side commodities in other cities now it's under the orange flag
        Oil to Rhodes 243 - unblocking its coal supply.
        Spanish won't pay tribute - WAR; Salamanca bribed for 1290 - 55 in plunder.
        Hut - Tribe - Little China

Mobile Warfare > Mass Production
        Oil x 4 to Bangalore 741/654/825/482;

Mass Production > Computers
        Indians become a Republic
        Punjab Bribed for 538 - 106 plundered
        Gold to Lahore 1702; Beads/Oil to Bangalore 616/616

Computers > Robotics
        Zimbabwe captured 131 plundered. Zulu Government escapes to Ulundi. Swazi bribed for 890 - 56 back; Isandhlwana bribed for 940 - 57 back
        Dacca bribed for 372 - 40 plundered
        Coal to Ulundi 325; Coal/Salt/Gems to Bangalore 1726/206/447
        Hut - 100g

Robotics > Atomic Theory ... rest of turn to be played.

Population 23.5m
        Treasury 6796 ... some gold for bribes
        Rhodes has a repeating Hides supply. Well worth rushing a Fanatic for 120 each turn then changing to a Freight.
        Turns take about an hour each

Good Luck!

-----------------------

SG(2)
        Attached Files
        "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
        "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

• Good job
          I'm fairly sure that getting Robotics just before vacation must be highly rewarding
          Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

• It seems I'm up. I'll d/l and play within the next few days...
            "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
            "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

• Turns take about an hour each
              Yeah, with no real "core" to our civ, you have to add "where the heck is it?" to the normal "what was I doing with it?" micromgt when evaluating each city, each turn. I can't help but note that this log contains not a single drinking reference!

Awesome progress, (2) !!
              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Sorry for the delay, the power outage ate my ISP!

1867: Benjamin Franklin rediscovers electricity , allowing me to complete the turns involved.

It seems we have a well developed shipchain towards the Indians - who, as always, have a lot of large cities in a representative government. The Zulus, on the other hand, have smaller cities. Thus, we will trade with the Indians and conquer the Zulus. And anyone else we can reach (Spanish?).

Oil>Saragossa 26 g , Wine>Hlobane 154 g, Oil>Ulundi 106 g, Goldx2>Ulundi 124 g, 130 g, Gems>Bangalore 840g, Silk>Bangalore 188 g, Beads>Bangalore 840 g, Gold>Lahore 1574 g Looks like the Injians are the better trade partner, all right.

Umtata bribed for 670 g, with 76 in return. Zunguin bribed for 1010 g, 67 in return. Amatikulu bribed for 1067 g, 51 in return.

Staunch allies, the Chinese and Zulus swap a bunch of sciences, for all the good it'll do them.

1868: Atomic Theory discovered; researching Flight.
                Gold>Lahore 966 g, Salt>Bangalore 522 g, Cloth>Bangalore 378 g, Hides>Bangalore 987 g.

Astrakhan captured, 166 g, Novgorod captured, 91 g, Kiev bribed for 1004 g.
                Intombe revolts for 1192 g, 82 back. Umfolozi revolts for 1172 g, 72 back. Isipezi revolts for 920 g, 52 back.
                Valladolid destroyed. Spanish defenders of Corboba (I saw a Knight and a Pikeman) successfully hold off the attacks of an Armor and 2 Cavalry. Without walls. The Roadlessan army salutes you, gutsy Spaniards!
                Tatung revolts for 2290 g, 170 back.

Zulus hold a revolution.

1869: Flight discovered; researching Radio. I can't wait to build Airports in every 2-bit backwater town we have, and scrap the hordes of Transports that currently serve them (major shipchains will remain, of course).

Gold>Lahore, 1212 g, Gold>Delhi 614 g, Gems>Bangalore 439 g, Wine>Bangalore 1405 g

Ulundi captured, 97 g plunder. Bapedi revolts for 543 g, 72 plunder. Mpondo revolts for 976 g, 65 plunder. Hlobane revolts, 670 g, 52 plunder.

We accept the proffered peace 'treaty' from the Zulus and after some gifts, they helpfully tell us where their last 2 cities are

Macao revolts, 2870 g, 118 back.

Tblisi revolts, 640 g, 113 back.

Zulus form Fundamentalism.
                Spanish develop Monarchy

1870: Radio discovered; researching Advanced Flight.
                Hidesx3>Bangalore 664, 664, 348 g, Coal>Bangalore 494 g,

Zulus withdraw when asked

Pamplona revolts, 880 g, 77 back.

Indians learn Machine Tools. French learn Sanitation.

1871: Wool>Karachi 142 g, Gold>Delhi 722 g, Gems>Bangalore 466 g.
                Demand for tribute directed at Zulus results in war
                Sevastopol revolts for 672 g, 118 g back.
                Ibabanago revolts for 528 g, 191 back.

1872: Advanced Flight discovered; researching... Combined Arms.
                Hides>Bangalore 658 g, Salt>Bangalore 500 g, Silver>Lahore 834 g, Gold>Delhi 702 g, Wine>Bangalore 702 g.

Cordoba captured; Spanish government flees to Toledo, 13 g plundered.
                Naples revolts for 140 g, 50 g plunder, Zulu civilization destroyed.
                As per my own rule (stop playing when a Civ is eliminated), my turns end here.

I didn't want to knock off the French with their one remaining city - too easy. But we should be able to quickly roll over most of the other AIs with equal ease. The Russians and Spanish are very low tech, the Indians are fairly advanced but we have a lot of units in place there (for now, they are more valuable as a trading destination). Only the Chinese seem to be a (semi-) challenge - they are remote, and fairly evolved.

There is a shipchain in place between Leicester and Calcutta. It's fairly long, and to simplify it, the 'outgoing' ships are mostly on 'sleep'. One row going out and another, staggered row returning. I decided to build Airports in our isolated cities rather than try to coordinate shipchains to them. Also, there is a lot of Freight to deliver near Delhi. We should learn Combined Arms next turn. We have tons of cash.

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

• Et voila, the save...

Attached Files

Comment

• In the apparent continued absence of Bob_Smurf42, sirsnuggles is next.

1. atomant
                    2. Jrabbit
                    3. OldnSlow
                    4. SG(2)
                    5. STYOM
                    6. Bob_Smurf42
                    7. sirsnuggles
                    8. SCG
                    9. La Fayette

Comment

• Wow, I'll see if I can get it done tomorrow. If not, then in the next few days. I'm finishing my controversial turns for the Mongol game at the moment.

Comment

• No greater love has one than to lay down their life for a friend.

Comment

• Hmm. I like the look of that smilie.
                          Looking forward to this turnlog...
                          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Will take me a few days, got some friends in crisis, and at the same time got my gf mad at me. Everybody's in turmoil. Oy, relationships. But I still should have some time to get a crack at this soon.

Thanks bunny man!

Comment

• *bump*

Any progress Sir S? Have you broken up our freight-shipchain for scrap?

Comment

• Oh goodness, I'm sorry guys, I've been so busy that I clean (or rather messily forgot) that it was my turn. Please, I beg your forgiveness. I will play this weekend if you can still tolerate me.

I will respond to your criticisms to, but I will when I have the time. I'm working on some projects that perhaps even the SG's may grudgingly admit into the academy.

Comment

Working...
                                X