Superhighways now!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superhighways now!

Last poll, we the people, in order to form a more perfect highway system agreed to raise taxes to fund the project We currently have 1694 gold and 6 cities building superhighways. Only Valencia (150/200) will complete them in the next 2 turns.

To completely finish the superhighways in the 6 cities building them this turn, it would cost 1538 gold. To rush everything to where it would take 2 rounds to build them it would take 1038 gold. If we left them alone and used the taxes elsewhere, only 2 cities would finish in fewer than 6 turns. I believe the best use of the people's tax money would be to fund the projects so that they all finish in 2 turns

*ponders leading the people in a chant of "What do we want!*

2 turns is perfect. An excellent plan :b:
    90.00%
    1 turn. We've waited long enough! build them now or else :doitnow!:
    0.00%
    up to 11. We've got more important problems, all the extra trade can wait :hmmm:
    10.00%
    Hey! are those bananas falling off the back of that truck? :p
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Insert witty phrase here

I voted for 2 turns, but I think the city planning minister should take a detailed look. If there are any cities where we could deliver a demanded freight next turn - rush the superhighway in 1 turn. Any cities with a low base trade and no freights being delivered soon - wait 3 or more turns.

By fitting the rush building to individual circumstances we can probably spend less money and get a bigger return.

RJM at Sleepers
    Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

I voted for 2 turns as well. If we set science lower in 1868 to raise taxes for this purpose, what are we waiting for?

Besides, it's an inefficient use of high-trade cities to leave them building 'white goods' for several turns - when they could be building Freight (or further cash/science improvements if they have no supplied commodities).
      "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
      "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Hmm, after sleeping on this, it sounds a bit too much like cityplanner poll.

I probably should have gone with my original choices of
        1) all of it - would give 1 turn
        2) 60% of it - would give 2 turns
        3) none of it -

or maybe but the actual gold amounts...

O well - hopefully I'm getting better at staying within my cabinet position's sphere of influence
        Insert witty phrase here

Comment

Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
          I voted for 2 turns as well. If we set science lower in 1868 to raise taxes for this purpose, what are we waiting for?

Besides, it's an inefficient use of high-trade cities to leave them building 'white goods' for several turns - when they could be building Freight (or further cash/science improvements if they have no supplied commodities).
          I agree whole-heartedly

declassified by SCG from the 1868 report
          2) Raise the taxes 10-20% for a maximum of 2 turns at the expense of science. This is to aid in the production of superhighways that are highly demanded (even in the science poll). After 2 turns, return the taxes to normal, as there is much support to keep the science rate high.
          Our president did leave it a little longer than 2 turns, but then early on, the military requisitioned a good portion of it (in the conquest of Nepal), and that may have been the reason only 1 superhighway got produced last turn.

*ponders having a little... chat... with the head of the Senate Appropriation's Committee*

either that, or we need to see about weakening the environmentalist lobby for wanting all those feasibility studies done before building the highways

*half expects to see Immortal Wombat to make a cameo after that comment *
          Insert witty phrase here

Comment

maybe rush the ones that will take the longest, but i can't see spending 1000g for this project right now. Some at 2 turns, but not all

Comment

Two turns, I want superhighways!
              "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson
              Former Minister of City Planning of the third Civ2 Democracy Game
              Former Minister of Science of the third Civ2 Democracy Game
              Former Imperial Expansion Minister of the first Civ2 Democracy Game

Comment

The money we spend rushing the SH will be repaid by the additional income they provide. Again, what else are we saving the money for?

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

defensive improvements in naples, kazan, etc maybe? I thought those were still on the agenda

Comment

following the 2 turn plan would still leave over 600 gold for building other improvements (which are quite a bit cheaper - its only 76 gold to finish the city walls (42/80) in Kazam for example, and would be 25 gold to finish Naple's cavalry (40/60, 10 production) next turn. We should be able to do both with our current treasury Not to mention finishing the superhighways would come close to doubling the net gold and science of several cities, allowing for much more flexability afterwards
                    Insert witty phrase here

Comment

alright, you've sold me on the idea, superhighways in two turns it is

Comment

Originally posted by H Tower
                        alright, you've sold me on the idea, superhighways in two turns it is
                        Should we notify the Minister of City Planning?

Comment

probably, not that me voting against the idea would have caused the poll to go the other way

Comment

Perhaps the Minister of Trade could identify which cities originated Freight that will be delivered in the next few turns. That way, we would know which cities would provide the greatest benefits for rushing Superhighways. The others could go along building with shields to reduce the rush cost when it's their turn to deliver Freight.

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
                            Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
                            Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
                            Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

Originally posted by cavebear
                              Perhaps the Minister of Trade could identify which cities originated Freight that will be delivered in the next few turns. That way, we would know which cities would provide the greatest benefits for rushing Superhighways. The others could go along building with shields to reduce the rush cost when it's their turn to deliver Freight.

Of the 7 remaining cities with superhighways currently in its build queue, Avila, Cadiz, and St Pratski offer tradable goods, preferably to be built sooner rather than waiting 7, 4 and 6 turns to build. Valencia has a demanded cloth freight idling outside Seville (and will be built in 2 turns anyway). Seville has a stray Oil freight and will grow in 2 turns, and should grow again in 3 turns if we celebrate (city size has some effect on tradable commodites, though haven't figured out if growing will unblock anything or not as yet in this case). WhereItsAt town also is the subject of a freight discussion and has a poll of its own. And Pamplona has a domestic trade route which can be used per suggestion in the WIAtown poll for future trading.
                              Insert witty phrase here

Comment

Working...
                              X