No announcement yet.

The history of New Apolytonia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quetsion: Hows the Historin, is it still you???
    Former President, Vice-president and Foreign Minister of the Apolyton Civ2-Democracy Games as 123john321

Comment

Originally posted by 123john321
      Quetsion: Hows the Historin, is it still you???
      I'm writting... if someone else also wants to write no problem with me(just let me know in advance so we can distribute our resources as good as possible)...

next part will be uploaded soon, and both will be smillied after that...

Shade
      ex-president of Apolytonia former King of the Apolytonian Imperium
      "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." --Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)
      shameless plug to my site:home of Civ:Imperia(WIP)

Comment

Long Live Bureaucracy.

Still overwhelmed with joy, caused by his coronation , and impressed by the never-ending stream of positive exploration reports from Despot John and his troops, King Hydey decides he should follow the example of his predecessor and lead an exploration team himself. So the next trireme that set sail into the unknown (although everybody knew it was heading for the coasts of the newly discovered island Northwest of the main Apolytonian continent) was carrying our beloved King. The Gods must have smiled upon this mission, the trireme never encountered any bad weather and it was as if the winds were forced to blow in the perfect direction. This caused the trireme to arrive 1month ahead of schedule at the landing place on the new island.
        While maneuvering along the coast of this new continent, the troops aboard the trireme saw something that looked like a little village. Hydey being on his first mission so far away from home wanted to approach the natives with the utmost caution … to be blunt: ”He didn’t want to get himself killed immediately.”

After the appropriate precautions were taken, King Hydey and some elite bodyguards entered the village for a diplomatic meeting with the village-elder. The meeting took a full week and many speeches:sleep: :sleep: were given … eventually thanks to his supreme eloquence and the idea of fame and glory for all soldiers of the New Apolytonian Empire, Hydey convinced the village-elder to send a group of their bravest young men with him to explore the world.

In the year 200BC some bored bureaucrats decided they wanted to know exactly how many people lived in the New Apolytonian Empire and because they themselves really hadn’t anything important to do, they started counting the population by going from door to door and town to town just counting the people one by one.
        It took them almost 25 years, but when they finished they were held in the highest regard by their fellow bureaucrats and given the bureaucratic purple badge of endurance. They had counted 200.000 people in the entire empire with an error of 3725.
        Although this was an enormous accomplishment the bureaucrats weren’t really satisfied with their result. This was because during their counting efforts many people died of old age and many babies were born. They wanted a way to keep track of the all the people, who are alive. Some of them suggested memorizing the names of the living but this had some practical problems; although they were bureaucrats there was still a little part of them which was human and this part had the bad habit of forgetting or mixing up names. In search for a better method one of them had the brilliant idea of using the strange ideograms, the wise men invented and called alphabet, to represent the names of the people. Every ideogram got connected with a sound and so names got represented with a group of ideograms in a specific order. While playing around with them like this they expanded the use of them to the words they spoke. At first it was used as a game called silent dialogue (for obvious reasons) but after a while they started using them for more and more different tasks. E.g. they used a piece of papyrus with some words so they remembered important meetings, or just to tell their fellow bureaucrats where they were at that moment.
        It didn’t take long before their “invention”, called WRITING, became known to the rest of the Empire.

A few years later 2 pieces of disturbing news arrived in Capitol. Some travelers told about a colossal statue named Colossus, build by an unknown tribe; the Celts, which was to resemble their greatest and biggest warrior. Even more disturbing news came from the apolytonian city Barcelona, guards reported they had seen a Japanese trireme passing by multiple times.

In the year 100BC King Hydey decides to found a stronghold, on the newly discovered Northwest Island, called Saragossa, because of the enormous quantities of seaweed found in the nearby ocean.
        In the mean time the tension kept growing in the city of Barcelona and what was feared eventually happened, the Japanese trireme attacked. Luckily our Phalanxes had been training to be prepared for this day and they were victorious, they sunk the trireme even before the Japanese troops could come to shore.

Because troops, especially the explorers, couldn’t always get rewarded with tradegoods for their actions (because of a lack of trade goods or they had no place to trade them), King Hydey created a new kind of payment: CURRENCY. It were round pieces of metal which were light to carry and easy to exchange. It was an innovation the soldiers embraced immediately; they just got tired of dragging around the cows they got paid for their efforts. (Sometimes it got so bad they looked more like cattle drivers then soldiers.)
        Last edited by shade; November 14, 2002, 17:21.
        "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." --Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)

Comment

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

Originally posted by Hydey
            ... sentences a little to long to be understandable?(MSWord was complaining about that...but who carres about Micro$oft )

Shade

Comment

Working...
            X