City Planner Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• City Planner Report

Sorry, this is later than I wanted to post it, but I've been busy. Anyways...
    We've got 2 settlers and 2 cities. Melfort has a barracks. Both cities are defended by 2 phalanxes. I propose that both cities begin producing settlers and the 2 existing settlers found cities in locations given by the Expansion minister. A few questions that we should settle first:

How long should we continue producing settlers?

Should we sell the existing barracks in Melfort (currently costs 1 GP/turn in upkeep)?

The poll about the barracks will be open 2 days.
    Yes
    44.44%
    No
    55.56%

The poll is expired.

Vote NO!!!!!!!

IIRC there is NO upkeep cost under Despotism. (Of course my "R" is not always "C"... )
    (Someone get out the book -- I'm at work. )

In either case, I say keep the barracks for now, producing vet defenders (to be rehomed to other cities) and allowing Melfort/Capitol to grow after the current crop of Settlers is built.

That will let us ICS a bit until we (a) get Monarchy and (b) need a Temple.

Summary: Our situation does not lend itself to wasting 1/2 the price of those barracks. Much better to find a good use for them!!
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

as the trade minister in addition to science minister, i know that we are paying 1g upkeep per turn on something, but i don't know if it is the barracks or not.

Comment

i just checked, the barracks is costing us 1g upkeep

Comment

Glad I said IIRC. Must be Anarchy where there's no upkeep.

But my reasons to keep the barracks still stand.

!!!!!!! VOTE "NO" !!!!!!!!!!!
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I can't see the need to sell it now. Ideally, it would have never been built, but now it's here, we may as well take advantage of it.

Comment

I agree with Darkness' Edge, May not have been a great choice but we have it now so may as well use it to its potential. if we hit a hard spot and need some quick cash for wonder building then maybe sell but right now there's no need.

P.S. i have no idea what IIRC means.
              Wizards sixth rule:
              "The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason."
              Can't keep me down, I will CIV on.

Comment

IIRC = If I Recall Correctly
                (iirc)

Comment

If I Recall Correctly

EDIT: JRabbit beat me to it

Comment

I don't usually build a barracks early (if at all), but that is just me and some people swear by the practice. Let the Barracks stay and concentrate on building military units in Melfort to send to other cities. Veteran units can be *very* advantageous.

But, if we keep it, we have to make sure to *use* it!

Keep in mind that only units with a attack or defense factor of "2" or above get any advantage. A 50% increase on a "1" does nothing because the 1.5 gets rounded back down to "1". On the other hand, an Archer at 4.5/3 is a very nice unit.
                    Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
                    Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
                    Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
                    Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

no, it's if i remember correctly (AFAIK)

Comment

Working...
                      X