Science 1778

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Science 1778

OK, with 3 civs suddenly crushed beneath our mighty war machine of Ironclads and Riflemen, we have a tech lead over the remaining 3 civs, especially the Carthaginians, researching Seafaring. The Babylonians are researching Sanitation, which we don't have, and the Indians are researching Metallurgy. In our last session we got Conscription and Railroad and are currently researching Tactics (hooray for cavalry).

So, our options will be:

Magnetism: I've said it before and I'll say it again - let's hold off as long as possible to get the most use out of our great lighthouse.

Industrialization (Factory, Transport, Women's Suffrage)
    Amphibious Warfare (Marines (8.5.1), Port Facility)
    Sanitation (Sewers)
    Theory of Gravity (Newton's College)
    Fundamentalism (Fundy gov't, Fanatics)
    Theology (Bach's)

And, some possible tech paths:

Magnetism -> Electricity

This will give us destroyers (4.4.6) with Electricity, but as I said in the last several polls, I suggest we hold off on Magnetism as long as possible so that our ironclads can get the greatest benefits possible from the Great lighthouse, which magnetism would obsolete.

Industrialization -> Communism -> Espionage/Guerilla Warfare

Industrialization will give us Factories (+50% production), Transports (carry 8 units) and Women's Suffrage (Police Stations in all cities). Communism will give us Police Stations (decrease unhappiness caused by troops away from home) and the UN (Embassies with other civs, force civs to offer peace) and obsolete Marco Polo's. Espionage gives us spies. Also, another possibility following Communism is Guerilla Warfare, which gives Partisans.

Industrialization -> Corporation -> Refining/Genetic Engineering

Corporation will upgrade our caravans to Freight and allow Capitalization (shields to wealth). Refining gives Power Plants (benefits to factories). Another possibility after Corporation is Genetic Engineering, which gives Cure for Cancer (1 extra happy citizen in each city)

Most of the other techs we will be able to research are dead-end techs (Amphibious warfare, Fundamentalism, Theology)
    Magnetism
    0.00%
    Industrialization
    30.77%
    Amphibious Warfare
    0.00%
    Sanitation
    0.00%
    Fundamentalism
    0.00%
    Theory of Gravity
    19.23%
    Theology
    3.85%
    Magnetism -> Electricity
    3.85%
    Industrialization -> Communism -> Espionage/Guerilla Warfare
    38.46%
    Industrialization -> Corporation -> Refining/Genetic Engineering
    3.85%

The poll is expired.

research Industrialization
    TEIC

Comment

I voted for a path towards Espionage and Guerilla Warfare...

Comment

Industrialisation for sure

We need those fast moving transports for our final assoult on the Chartagenian island

Comment

I agree transports would be very usefull to take our army north
          The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

Spies (espionage) would be extremely helpful against inland cities. Being able to first investigate a city and survive is very useful, they can move 3 squares, and they can both investigate and incite revolt (or attack a structure) on the same turn.

But I don't think the game will let us follow that path very directly. It's going to make us get numerous older techs first. Industrialization will be good because of the transports.

Anything that leads to transports, marines, or spies sounds good to me. Theory of Gravity would be good so we can build Isaac's in a high science city like Balsindia.
            Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
            Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
            Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
            Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

Go for "Theory of Gravity" better science.
              Former President, Vice-president and Foreign Minister of the Apolyton Civ2-Democracy Games as 123john321

Comment

Spies!

Transports!

Freights!
                The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
                intelligence to few.

Comment

If we're getting darwins next session, we need a long-term (3-4 techs) plan...

Comment

Spies we need spies....no army can survive the attack of an army of spies

Shade
                    ex-president of Apolytonia former King of the Apolytonian Imperium
                    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." --Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)
                    shameless plug to my site:home of Civ:Imperia(WIP)

Comment

Unless they're mired in Democracy.

Spies first. I'm sure the Foreign Minister would agree.
                      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit
                        Unless they're mired in Democracy.

then just take one of their cities so they fall into anarchy

Shade
                        ex-president of Apolytonia former King of the Apolytonian Imperium
                        "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." --Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)
                        shameless plug to my site:home of Civ:Imperia(WIP)

Comment

Spies and transport are usefull in our world.
                          But don't forget that Leo's will not change our caravels in transport as long as we have not magnetism (to change caravels to gallions then transport).
                          We'll have to build our transports (not very expensive in shields)
                          JCP
                          Paris, FRANCE

Comment

We have to build transports anyway, with my railroad plans and a little shipchaining we can deliver units to the front lines in 1 turn from most of our islands

Comment

I envision TRANSPORTS loaded WITH Spys and cavalry rushing to the aid of teh people of india so that we may free them of thier opressors.
                              Wizards sixth rule:
                              "The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason."
                              Can't keep me down, I will CIV on.

Comment

Working...
                              X