1764 Science

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1764 Science

Well, following the spectacular last turn, we have good news on the science front! We researched Metallurgy, Chivalry, and Leadership, and stole Economics, Medicine, and Bridge Building. There are now no techs that AI civs have and we don't. We are currently researching Conscription (Riflemen) and after that is done we'll be able to research the following:

Magnetism
    Railroad
    Tactics
    Sanitation
    Theory Of Gravity
    Theology
    Fundamentalism

Here are some possible paths for us to take:

Magnetism -> Electricity

This will give us destroyers (4.4.6) with Electricity, but as I said in the last poll, I suggest we hold off on Magnetism as long as possible so that our ironclads can get the greatest benefits possible from the Great lighthouse, which magnetism would obsolete.

Railroad -> Industrialization -> Communism (or Corporation)

Railroad will let our Engineers build railroads (duh) and let us build Darwin's Voyage (2 free techs). Industrialization will give us Factories (+50% production), Transports (carry 8 units) and Women's Suffrage (Police Stations in all cities). Communism will give us Police Stations (decrease unhappiness caused by troops away from home) and the UN (Embassies with other civs, force civs to offer peace) and obsolete the newly captured Marco Polo's. Corporation will upgrade our caravans to Freight and allow Capitalization (shields to wealth).

Tactics -> Amphibious Warfare

Tactics will upgrade our Dragoons (5.2.2) to Cavalry (8.3.2) and give us Alpine Troops (5.5.1, all terrain as roads). Amph. Warfare gives us Port Facilities (veteran naval units, heal quicker) and Marines (8.5.1, amphibious assaults)

Sanitation will give us Sewers (allows cities past size 12), ToG will give us Newton's U (double science), Theology will give us Bach's (decreased unhappy citizens on continent by 2), and Fundamentalism will let us go to Fundamentalist government.

My personal suggestion for a path to follow is Tactics -> Railroad -> Industrialization -> Corporation.

You have 3 days to vote.
    Magnetism
    0.00%
    Railroad
    16.67%
    Tactics
    11.11%
    Sanitation
    0.00%
    Theory of Gravity
    5.56%
    Theology
    0.00%
    Fundamentalism
    0.00%
    Magnetism -> Electricity
    0.00%
    Railroad -> Industrialization -> Communism/Corporation
    22.22%
    Tactics -> Amphibious Warfare
    0.00%
    Tactics -> Railroad -> Industrialization -> Corporation
    44.44%

The poll is expired.

Avoid electricity until our ironclads clean up the americans and egyptians. Leo's Workshop will upgrade them to green destroyers. Sun Tzu's will make them vets with a won battle, but those will be harder to come by as the AI approaches gunpowder...
    The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
    intelligence to few.

Comment

I say get Communism ASAP to build the UN. that way we can abtain peace when we want it, and we have embassies with everyone.

Comment

Go for railroad get Darwins' build immediatly with stacked caravans=> get then Industrialization+communism(-->SPIES ) as free techs and then get Corporation.

(4 for the price of 2 )

Shade
        ex-president of Apolytonia former King of the Apolytonian Imperium
        "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." --Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)
        shameless plug to my site:home of Civ:Imperia(WIP)

Comment

Tactics.

Comment

Im with Shade now, but I can't change my vote

Comment

DON'T RESEARCH ELECTRICITY! OUR CLADS WILL BE LOST!

Comment

railroad so we can take our cannons right up to enemy cities with no movement penalty. it might even be worth letting the AI civs have it after we build darwins so that they do our work for us

Comment

Railroads. they're just too good to live without them
                  "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
                  Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
                  Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
                  Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

Railroads are nice, but the enemy isn't exactly going to let us build them up the their front gate. Maybe we could defend an Engineer against the inevitable Catapault attack with a Fortified Rifleman. I'm more interested in the Transports available a step beyond Railroad.

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
                    Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
                    Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
                    Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

A question about Darwin's voyage... I usually build it automatically, but is it really worth it. I'm beginning to think the trouble of building 8 Caravans isn't worth the 2 tech advances when we are getting them every 4 or 5 turns. It would be nice to be able to just hold them for Hoover's and go on and build some other things in our cities.

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
                      Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
                      Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
                      Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

Tactic, for cavalry, the best attack unit at this stay.
                        Railways for connecting cities, improving production and having new techs (with Darwin's).
                        Late : communism for UN and, the last but not the least : SPY !
                        Last edited by JCP; June 11, 2002, 14:14.
                        JCP
                        Paris, FRANCE

Comment

Once we get Tactics, all of our Crusaders will upgrade to Cavalry. That will REALLY help in our Rome/India campaign.

Comment

Working...
                          X