No announcement yet.

The issue of wonders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While I was president, the coffers stayed empty because of rushbuying. Per turn income was enough to selectively spend on rushing key builds.

I've no idea what the current $ status is, tho. (Verdomme, ik heb nog geen kopie van 't spelletje... Wij hoeven een nieuwe leider, volgens mij )
    The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
    intelligence to few.

Comment

Originally posted by Marquis de Sodaq
      (Verdomme, ik heb nog geen kopie van 't spelletje... Wij hoeven een nieuwe leider, volgens mij )
      heb het geforward...(als ge het nie in je mailbox vindt laat dan es weten...dan is er onderweg iets opgefoeterd.)

Shade
      ex-president of Apolytonia former King of the Apolytonian Imperium
      "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." --Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)
      shameless plug to my site:home of Civ:Imperia(WIP)

Comment

First, I recommend *not* dedicating any particular city to building a Wonder. My experience is that conditions change and you often find a city building a Wonder locked into it when it needs something else suddenly (a temple, an aquaduct, etc). It is *very* painful to waste 50% of shields to change a Wonder into a temple if the city comes into revolt!

Instead, assign 2 or 3 cities at a time to build caravans (and all the mainland cities can take turns) so that no city finds itself locked into a penalty situation for changing production when problems arise.

I suggest that the mainland cities build a caravan every few production cycles and that the caravans be stored in a central location for easy movement to the selected city for the eventual Wonder (wherever is most appropriate).

There is another value to stashing caravans. Some of them will have more valuable trading goods than others. Those that are best used for actual trade routes (overseas, almost certainly) can be rehomed to the best trading city on the mainland (by lack of trade routes and most trading arrows) and taken out of the Wonder stash (not something to do too often, but sometimes the best decision for a particular caravan).
        Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
        Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
        Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
        Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

I vote NAY to rehoming caravans. However, stashing them for later use is a good plan. Build wonders with all the food and hide caravans that are stacked up, saving the other commodities in case they can be traded overseas.
          The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
          intelligence to few.

Comment

I don't rehome caravans in my own games, so I don't have any problems with us not doing it in this game. But some people do, and defend the practice, so I considered it as one possible advantage of stashed caravans.
            Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner

Comment

could somebody explain me the benefits of rehoming the caravans?

i´ve never done that
              Second President of Apolytonia, and Vice-President twice
              Shemir Naldayev, 1st Ukrainian front comander at the Red front democracy gamePresidente de la Republica de España in the Civil War Demogame
              miguelsana@mixmail.com

Comment

Rehoming food caravans supposedly means that you can send food from a city to itself! I don't know the exact benefits (having never used food caravans before), but shade might know.

He told me, y'see.
                Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Actually, the food thing is a minor concern. The idea of rehoming an actual trade good is that the trade benefits are very dependent of the "arrow" (trade) production of a city. If you have (say) silk from a small city of 10 trade arrows, it is not as valuable as the same silk from a city of 20 trade arrows.

So, if you "support from this city" a caravan from a lesser trade city to a larger one, the ultimate trade benefit is greater. That is subject to whether the larger trade city is already maxed out in terms of trade routes, of course. You can only have 3.

Comment

Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
                    Rehoming food caravans supposedly means that you can send food from a city to itself! I don't know the exact benefits (having never used food caravans before), but shade might know.
                    I understand the logical confusion of sending food to the city that grew it. But there is a way to understand it. And I understand your concern. For the longest time, I thought a food caravan was taking food away from one city and moving it to another.

Caravan production is separate from the actual food available for a specific cities use. Think of the food trade as coming from just outside the city, and it will make more sense.

In practical terms, food caravans can have great value to cities that have difficulty providing their own food (like in mountain cities built for defensive value). I'll admit I don't use them myself, but I certainly see the advantages to be gained.

Think of it as just one more way that a city could provide itself with additional food.

Comment

Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt

He told me, y'see.
                      I know what the theory is...and I even tried it once for real just to see if it worked but my game gave me a nice popup saying it couldn't rehome a foodcaravan.(and about the other caravans rehoming just takes time...so no thx)

So what are we still waiting for...BUILD THE DAMN WONDEEEERRRRR!!!!!!

(geez we really start to look like the politicians here in Belgium )

Shade
                      ex-president of Apolytonia former King of the Apolytonian Imperium
                      "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." --Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)
                      shameless plug to my site:home of Civ:Imperia(WIP)

Comment

Yeah, all we need now is for cavebear to start OPENLy slagging me off and there's a real Parliament right there.

But I couldn't care less right now.

Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

No slagging was intended.

Comment

Yes, I agree that we need a wonder. I don't care which one(s), just build a wonder already!

Comment

Working...
                            X