Demo Game #4, Second Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demo Game #4, Second Poll

5 days to vote, and we should probably try to go based on this one...

Edited to add: In the initial (pre-poll) discussions about the next game, a small island start was proposed and almost unanimously supported, so that option wasn't included in the first poll. When we decided that too few people voted in the first poll (and that the voting time was too short considering the holiday time), we decided to repost the poll and leave it open longer. Since an island start seemed settled, though, it was not included in the polls.

1A. One city til "X" Year - YES
    5.95%
    1A. One city til "X" Year - NO
    4.76%
    1B. If one city, expand at 500 AD
    2.38%
    1B. If one city, expand at 1000 AD
    2.38%
    1B. If one city, expand at 1250 AD
    1.19%
    1B. If one city, expand at 1500 AD
    2.38%
    2. Home Island Tiles = 1
    0.00%
    2. Home Island Tiles = 3
    1.19%
    2. Home Island Tiles = 5
    7.14%
    3. Nearest distance to any land - 5 Tiles
    1.19%
    3. Nearest distance to any land - 6 Tiles
    0.00%
    3. Nearest distance to any land - 7 Tiles
    7.14%
    4. Bloodlust Game - YES
    4.76%
    4. Bloodlust Game - NO
    4.76%
    5. Ironclads - YES
    3.57%
    5. Ironclads - NO
    4.76%
    6. Trade - YES
    8.33%
    6. Trade - NO
    3.57%
    7. Diplomats - YES
    4.76%
    7. Diplomats - NO
    7.14%
    8. Spies - YES
    5.95%
    8. Spies - NO
    5.95%
    9. Spotless Reputation - YES
    7.14%
    9. Spotless Reputation - NO
    3.57%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by cavebear; January 7, 2004, 13:34.
    Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
    Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
    Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
    Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Island tiles is a tough one, depends on terrain and specials.

Comment

Yes, and we won't know what we will get until the game is underway. But the point is to make it a difficult start to force us to get all we can from what is available.
      Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner

Comment

Wow - will really have to think about some of these. They really sound quite restrictive.
        Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Well I'm the fourth person to vote, and voted for a year restriction even though I didn't vote for the one city restriction. This is just so that should the one city win, then we'll have another option, and won't require any more polls.

Come on people! Vote!

Comment

What do we do if we don't want an option at all, eg no island start? Do we just not vote for any of the options on that poll?
            Consul.

Comment

Yes - maybe cavebear could edit his first post to make that clear to people who haven't voted yet.

Comment

OK, have voted, and it looks interesting so far. There have been more people voting for which year to start expanding from a single city than there are people who voted for restricting ourselves to a single city in the first place! Some confusion there obviously.

I voted for an island start, but only on the condition we could use Ironclads (God I loved them ). Also I voted for no Diplos or Spies, but voted for Trade, as I loved my position as Trade Minister way back when.

Yes to bloodlust, and I placed our island only 5 tiles from the nearest landmass, and the largest option the poll allows so we have SOMEthing to do for at least a short while.
                Consul.

Comment

I think that the various distance options should be 5,7, etc. squares at least from the nearest land masses, not exactly that distance. Otherwise we can set off some suicide triremes in the knowledge that if one survives, we'll be able to strike land on the next turn.

Comment

I did not vote for either bloodlust of Iron Cald option because I am indifferent. However i like the other options we have, It seems that this will be a difficult game

BTW I agree with duke o' york, it would be too much of a give-away to know how far away land was.

Of course we could have a no tiremes restriction
                    Wizards sixth rule:
                    "The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason."
                    Can't keep me down, I will CIV on.

Comment

The distance to land would be a minimum, and we would not know which direction the closest land is. We wouldn't be in the center of a round lake.

Comment

voted
                        The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

/me has voted, but wishes to clarify.....

I voted against spies and diplomats, but I think we need one per civ to establish embassies. I think embassies are a must, but the other uses for dips/spies I welcome restricting ourselves against (in our last game, bribery was key, until the civ switched to democracy, at which point bringing down city walls became key, I think it would be interesting to see how we do without either option)
                          "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

My understanding of the suggestion we not have Dips is that we not know about other civs, can't steal techs, and can't bribe units or cities. In other words that no Dips means none of the advantages they can provide.

Comment

voted
                              "Erst kommt das Fressen, dann kommt die Moral." Bertold Brecht.

Comment

Working...
                              X