Cheat mode???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheat mode???

Here's what I got opening the 2500bc save, staight after DLing and unzipping...

And the 3150 save...

Has someone been cheating?
    April City Planner in the 3rd Civ2 Democracy Game
    Read Sluggy Freelance! Watch Homestar Runner! Papa Smurf is a Communist!

Relax, I got the same message upon opening the 4000BC save.... this is a created map, remember, and what you do is start a game, activate cheat mode and edit things in. That is what cavebear must have done to give us such a weird-looking start place.
    Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

so if a president (present or future) was to use cheat mode , how would we tell unless he did something truely outragous.
      The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

scarly!
        Former President, Vice-president and Foreign Minister of the Apolyton Civ2-Democracy Games as 123john321

Comment

Originally posted by Hydey
          so if a president (present or future) was to use cheat mode , how would we tell unless he did something truely outragous.
          Well, I guess we couldn't know.
          Consul.

Comment

Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
            Relax, I got the same message upon opening the 4000BC save.... this is a created map, remember, and what you do is start a game, activate cheat mode and edit things in. That is what cavebear must have done to give us such a weird-looking start place.
            I'd love to take credit for a really weird and creative map, but it was from atomant.
            Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
            Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
            Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
            Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

this is odd
              Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

I thought atomant put starting positions down on the map in the map editor.
                I don't like the possiblity of flagrant cheating by the prez.
                April City Planner in the 3rd Civ2 Democracy Game
                Read Sluggy Freelance! Watch Homestar Runner! Papa Smurf is a Communist!

Comment

lets not accuse anyone of cheating just yet
                  Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

After I received the map from atomant by email, I detached the file and then sent it directly to MWIA several days later. I don't think that would cause the cheat mode message to activate, and I didn't open the file myself.

I suggest MWIA forward my original email to Shade to see if the message appears when he first opens the file. If it shows that message then, then it was in there from atomant's construction and we have no need to worry.

Does that make sense?
                    Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
                    Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
                    Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
                    Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

Well I MIGHT still have the original email... IIRC, it was sent to my hotmail account, and pretty close to filled it up. When I downloaded it I deleted the message.

However, if it went to my Uni email then I should still have it..... In either case I can email the savegame that I haven't altered from when I received it, just likely not the original email itself.

Hope this is satisfactory, but I didn't (after two weeks of play) expect to have to keep the email any longer.
                      Consul.

Comment

for the record, i used the civ map editor to make the map, the starting place was ramdomly selected, cave bear did not have anything to do with the startup location.
                        "the bigger the smile, the sharper the knife"
                        "Every now and again, declare peace. it confuses the hell out of your enemies."

Comment

@MrWhereItsAt

I am sure you would never use the Cheat mode, I was more concerned if someone less trustworthy were to be elected president.
                          The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

When you use cheatmode in a previous game it sometimes stays open when starting up a new game.

Might this be the answer?

Comment

Thanks for the vote of confidence Hydey, but I'd still like to do whatever I can to show the situation the save was in when I received it. shade - Can I send you the save as I received it? Note, this is the original save that I have NOT saved over again - it was last modified April 14th, which is about the time cavebear sent it to me. Then you can see (hopefully a trusted impartial Civ2er) that cheat mode was enabled before anything was done.

Could I have been in cheat mode with Civ2 last and that carried over? Possibly, but with the exception of the last demogame, I have not used Civ2 for a while, and I can't remember the last time I used cheat mode as I don't try and make my own maps/scenarios.

I don't know what more I can say unless I did actually receive or forward that email from cavebear to my Uni mail service, which is currently (typically) down at the moment. It should be up within 6 hours or so, in which case I will look to see.

If my install of civ2 has been the problem for this then I am sorry - I had no idea.
                              Consul.

Comment

Working...
                              X