This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SETTLER 2: who is he?

I really wondered since as a non-techie guy I saw no difference. What did Settler 2 brang?? Is it that I am totally blind or nothing apparent?

Thx for enlighting me.
    Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

I think it gives a higher limit for traffic before it gets too much. Also it makes it possible to have the whole site indexed in the search function.
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Settler II info: our new server will be a dual Xeon running at 2.0GHZ with 512 MB of RAM and a 73GB SCSI drive. Beyond a faster and more stable use the new server will allow us to do things like a complete search index of the forums and more.

So it's all new hardware. The only thing I'm a little worried about is tht 512 MB of RAM will be to little. But it depends on what kind of RAM it is. And for a webserver running serverside scripts with a database (as this forum) the processorpower and harddrive are the most important parts. (And ofcource the internet connection)
      Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Aha, so at least Gramphos has the same concern as I have. I would say 512 MB per CPU would be a better solution as RAM isn't that expensive, if you anyway have a 2 Intel Xeon CPUs. As for the memory type, I assume it's registered DDR-266 memory.
        "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

To put it simply SETTLER II, bring us Apolyton, if we didn't have it, we might not have 'poly, since the old server crashed hard.

ACK!
          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

73 gigs? jesus christ, how big is poly?
            "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
            - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Well, a full searchindex will be pretty big...
              Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

You can continue this discussion here...

Keep on Civin'
                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                X