Sid Meier's X-COM update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sid Meier's X-COM update

Remember back like over 6 months ago when I came up with the theory that Firaxis was still making an X-COM type game despite the earlier rumor being supposedly discreditted?

Then Sid said there would be an announcement about the next game in October or November.

It's been over 4 months and still no announcement. This can really only mean one thing. They aren't liking how the gameplay/design is turning out. Just like Dinos.

Anyway, I'm just throwing some thoughts out there. I'm trying to get my mind off other things.
    "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
    "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
    "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
    "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

They must hire more people to work on failing projects then...
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

They're now working on "Sid Meier's Tetris".
        The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

At least they learned their lesson from Dinos - wait to announce the game until you have enough developement that there has been some progress. Any other reasons for the delay (i.e. people left the company, they were working on some patches for PTW, they have a problem with licensing rights)?
          About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Well the PTW team is not the new game team so patches have nothing to do with it. If it was license problems I'd expect we'd hear about it. I haven't heard about anyone leave the company either.

I really just believe they can't come up with a good design.
            "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
            "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
            "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
            "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

I don't think it's a game design problem, XCOM has a solid design. It's probably they have a problem coming up with a new story, with various alien techs and humand techs.

Personally, I don't mind they do it in stages. First, there are these aliens we fight on Earth. After we defeat them, we find they are sent here by their bosses at Alpha Centauri. So we go there and fight those, etc. Maybe on the way we find some other aliens that are enslaved, and we can free them to help us.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

How about in an ironic twist on that we blow up their planet and then discover 99% of aliens were on our side.

Comment

"What have we done!"

It would be way too melodramatic of an ending. Just consider all the movies or books that have the same kind of ending.
                  I never know their names, But i smile just the same
                  New faces...Strange places,
                  Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
                  -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                    I don't think it's a game design problem, XCOM has a solid design. It's probably they have a problem coming up with a new story, with various alien techs and humand techs.
                    How do you know that it has solid design? We are theorizing that is what they are working on and you know that it already has solid design. Maybe your Sid!
                    About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

The XCom series has a solid design.
                      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                        The XCom series has a solid design.
                        Yeah, but so did Civ1, Civ2 and SMAC.

Comment

Originally posted by tniem
                          How do you know that it has solid design? We are theorizing that is what they are working on and you know that it already has solid design. Maybe your Sid!

That was pretty easy.
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

They're working on Civ4.
                            I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Hopefully the team is working hard to fix the dodgy screen resolution bug that makes it impossible to play UFO: Enemy Unknown on my PC.

And hopefully they're fixing the bugs in Terror from the Deep that made it hopelessly ****.
                              "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

Working...
                              X