Question About Apolyton's Greek Heritage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About Apolyton's Greek Heritage

if my memory serves me well, Apolyton is the mix of "the first greek civilization site" and "the ultimate civilization site", hence the name and yada yada yada.

now, was the original greek site in greek? and if so, what happened to any non-english speaking greek users?

just curious.
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Maybe that just refers to the first "Greek hosted Civ site."

Comment

i still can't believe the ULTIMATE civ2 site merged with a greek site...
      I'm 49% Apathetic, 23% Indifferent, 46% Redundant, 26% Repetative and 45% Mathetically Deficient.

Comment

'First' and 'last', in a sense a good merger, even if they weren't accurate in there naming.
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

The 1st Greek site wasn't in greek; as far as I remember

It was just called that because Markos ran it
          I remember visiting it a bit before the merger

It was just the 1st greek site

(as for greeks-> we have about 4 high profile ones and a few low-profile, but they for the most part, joined later)
          -->Visit CGN!
          -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

I posted on the Greek site long before the merger. It was just an english language civ site hosted by a greek
            Keep on Civin'
            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

ah. thanks
              "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
              - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

For more on Apolyton's history, see the "About: History" section. Two other worthwhile resources are my two 'Faces of Apolyton' interviews that were conducted last year. They are both accessible from the "Miscellaneous: Interviews" page.

-------------
                Dan; Apolyton CS
                PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
                >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Pronoucing Apolyton

Is it

a-poly-ton

or

apo-lyton

I listened to the interview of DanQ and he kept saying apo-lyton

ive always said a-poly-ton
                  Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

It think that is just a Canadian accent merging the syllable.
                    "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                    "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                    "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                    "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Re: Pronoucing Apolyton

Originally posted by Sprayber
                      Is it

a-poly-ton

or

apo-lyton

I listened to the interview of DanQ and he kept saying apo-lyton

ive always said a-poly-ton
                      The proper pronunciation is "a-poll-eh-tun" -- "a-poll-eye-tun" is Canadian 'slang'.

--------------
                      Dan; Apolyton CS
                      PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
                      >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Re: Re: Pronoucing Apolyton

Originally posted by DanQ

The proper pronunciation is "a-poll-eh-tun" -- "a-poll-eye-tun" is Canadian 'slang'.

--------------
                        Dan; Apolyton CS
                        Of course, being part owner of the site, you could pronounce it "crapface" if you wanted.

ACK!
                        Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

It will always be poly to me
                          Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski
                            you could pronounce it "crapface" if you wanted.
                            I think I'll try that.
                            Lime roots and treachery!
                            "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Given that the name is shortened to 'Poly I've always thought it must be a-poly-ton, not apo-lyton. It will always be the first way for me whatever.

Comment

Working...
                              X