What is going on with the server?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is going on with the server?

Over the last month (maybe) I'm constantly getting 'cant find server' errors. I've seen a lot of DP even TP because people think a post or edit hasnt occured when it has. It must be hell for those with dialup, its very irritating on DSL.
    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

I've seen the same thing and just assumed it was because the server was overloaded.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

mark has been trying load reducing measures on the server, either they aren't working or are making things worse

Comment

The number of people at poly has been around 3-400 for the last little while but the problems have been worse just lately, maybe starting around the time of the last worm.
        We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI

Comment

I think it's server overload...

Comment

There are several threads on this at the moment. Mark is trying some things to reduce server load....give it a few more days.

Comment

It may be server load, but I think its more of a bug.

Comment

I've got this message at the top of the page a few times now with 279 users online

'Warning: chmod() [function.chmod]: Operation not permitted in /home/virtual/site1/fst/var/www/html/forums/index.php on line 40'

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH
                  'Warning: chmod() [function.chmod]: Operation not permitted in /home/virtual/site1/fst/var/www/html/forums/index.php on line 40'
                  that's unrelated and now corrected....

as for the load, the introduction of the file upload service changed things a bit and some re-configuration of apache was needed....
                  Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                  Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                  giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

A few problems tonight again Mark......was it busy?

Comment

I had big problems about an hour ago too.

5pm to 6pm Eastern USA time is always very busy, but the server didn't seem to cope as well today as it usually does.
                      If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

we had increased load for around 30 minutes...

as for being busy...
                        Number of Active Users Today: 1321
                        Most users ever online on a day was 1352 on 21-02-2003.
                        Apolyton Time is 18:30
                        Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                        Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                        giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Most users ever online was 737 on 10-01-2003 at 12:19
                          Most users ever online on a day was 1359 on 24-02-2003.
                          The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Join Eventis, the land of spam and unspeakable horrors!

Comment

the first number is at one time
                            the second number is number of unique users in one day

Comment

The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Join Eventis, the land of spam and unspeakable horrors!

Comment

Working...
                              X