This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AVATARS: internal system changed

As part of our load reducing measures, we've changed our avatar system so that custom avatars are stored directly on the server and not in the database

On the user end this should not have any kind of difference in terms of using the custom avatar feature. The only difference will hopefully be in the page generation speed.

If you experience any problems, please report them here
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Thanks Markos. One benefit is that my avatar now shows correctly when I'm on the forums from work. For unknown reasons I would always get the "broken image" symbol for it. Now it works just fine.
    Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
    A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
    Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

All seems fine so far.
      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

If I don't have any problems, where should I then report to?

I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

Does this mean our avatars will not disappear when it is busy?

Comment

They still disappear when it is busy (at least, they did for me yesterday just before I was posting in this thread).
            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Hey Skanky, your avatar looks messed up.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Looks normal to me.
                What style are you using?

Comment

Looks fine to me.

Comment

If he uses Opera 7(as me), he might have problems getting the animation to work. I just see a slow motion of every animated page on Apolyton for some odd reason?
                    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

I use Opera 6.01.......there are sometimes problems with 'Poly and Opera (though this has not been true recently) but I have never had trouble with avatars.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
                        If he uses Opera 7(as me), he might have problems getting the animation to work. I just see a slow motion of every animated page on Apolyton for some odd reason?
                        I've also found that Opera7 sometimes has problems displaying animated images.
                        Right clicking on the image and telling it to reload always fixes the problem, but it's still annoying.
                        If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

I've reduced loading times by choosing not to view avatars.
                          "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

hi ,

, well Mark , the avatars stay now , even when a lot of people are here

Mark you are just full of ideas to constantly improve things

have a nice day
                            - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                            - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                            WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

spiffy, some day i'll get a custom avatar :P
                              I spend most my money on Wine, Women and Song.. the rest i just waste.

Comment

Working...
                              X