Column #216: "The Final Frontier"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Column #216: "The Final Frontier"

The Column has returned. The two-hundred-and-sixteenth article is written by Rasbelin, Stella Polaris' Development Team Manager. Entitled "The Final Frontier", Rasbelin talks at length about the SP project.

Comments etc. on this article are welcome in the related forum thread. Archives of previously published articles in The Column series can be accessed by clicking here. If you previously submitted an article for The Column and it has a) not yet been published and b) you have not received a response rejecting the piece outright, please re-submit it. On behalf of the Apolyton CS staff and administration, we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

------------
    Dan; Apolyton CS
    Last edited by DanQ; February 1, 2003, 11:56.
    PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Just correcting that Blake is the Project Manager, while I'm SPDT Manager. The old information must have slipped through as the text was written in August. But nice to see the text finally published.
    "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

what's the DT in the SPDT?
      Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
      Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
      giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Just one of the things he had to do to get the job.

Comment

Markos,

SPDT - Stella Polaris Development Team, so DT stands for development team.

Spikey,

"Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

ok i now i have to ask
            what's the difference betwen the Development Team Manager and the Project Manager?

Comment

The Project Manager gets to use the mug with the unbroken handle.
              The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

/me gets worried for his mugs because of Laz's comment.

All 2 mugs were still in good shape.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                  ok i now i have to ask
                  what's the difference betwen the Development Team Manager and the Project Manager?
                  The Project Manager is in charge for the whole project and is responsible for the content, while the SPDT Manager is leading the team of developers and is in charge for the development work. However I also handle other issues as Community and PR Manager. As Blake is absent, I'm now doing everything related to the project administration.

Comment

What is there to the project besides the development of the game?

What things are Blake's responsibilities (when he's around) that you don't get involved in?
                    If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Maintaining and developing the Stella Polaris community is also something which is a part of the work. Especially when the 1.0 version has been published and MP playing of StP becomes more popular.

Blake has been more into the content of the game and being in charge for co-ordinating the overall design of the game. I'm keeping the machinery working.

Comment

OK, that makes sense.
                        If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

ok, to close this line of silly questions, why is the Project Manager called a Project Manager and not SPP Manager?
                          Last edited by MarkG; February 1, 2003, 12:42.

Comment

Silly questions? The old saying says that no questions are silly.

It's SPDT Manager because it refers directly to the SPDT and not a development team in general, so that's why it's the only title that has the letters SP included. It would just get more confusing if everyone would be something SP as the full titles are anyway be SPDT, Project Manager; SPDT, Helpmate or SPDT, Director. So that's why it's not SPP Manager.

But I want to point out that it's really not a strict hierarchy as e.g. I'm more of an all-hands-person; starting with the website, replying to work applications from SourceForge and ending up in something like running a BNT game for the StP community.

Comment

Originally posted by Rasbelin
                              It's SPDT Manager because it refers directly to the SPDT and not a development team in general, so that's why it's the only title that has the letters SP included.
                              Well doesn't the term project manager relate specifically to SP also, and not project manager in general? You are digging yourself in deeper and deeper Rasbey

Comment

Working...
                              X