Attachments debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attachments debate

I think the only point of allowing an attachment type is to allow them to be rendered right on the spot in the browser. I completely hate rendering PDF documents in my browser, the plug-in takes years and it can crash Windows if I do it there.

There is no point of allowing some kind of attachment if it is to be downloaded first. Archiving the file first saves bandwidth, - bandwidth is what we don't have, not CPU cycles.

My suggestion is to only allow image files and archive files to be attached. A partial exception could be made for plain text files. Other extensions are simply not required.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

My only opinion is that I don't think it really matters and that mp3 should be allowed in place of wav.

Comment

Re: Attachments debate

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
      Other extensions are simply not required.
      That could hurt the demo games.........

Also, I think its all fine.
      Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
      Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Can't you configure your browser not to automatically render filetypes you don't want it to?

Comment

.wav files are out of date so we should replace them with mp3s.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

i never saw an attached PDF, does it automatically display?
            "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
            - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

I dunno, lets see. I would assume not, since only picture files (not .txt) render in the browser:

Edit: There you go. Though it could still use the icon I provided in the other thread...
              Attached Files

Comment

So I'm confused. Somebody explain UR's gripe.

Comment

He thinks everyone should zip everything they attatch except pictures.

Comment

Boo! hiss!
                    Burn the herretic!
                    I want my attachements to stay
                    No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

Originally posted by ixnay
                      He thinks everyone should zip everything they attatch except pictures.
                      Aaahhh. I reread his post. His gripe is not that automatic rendering screws things up, but that the only reason to attach a non-archive is to make it renderable (?) in the browser.

I think I and others were confused on this point earlier.

Comment

UR does have a point about Pedia files, they do crash windows sometimes.
                        I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
                        i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

Leave it as a choice for the end-user. If UR doesn't want to render it in his browser, he has the option of downloading the file instead (or just to ignore the attachment). If Billybob Johnson wants to have the file rendered in his browser, then he can.

The point is there is nothing to gain by taking away options for others.
                          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Working...
                          X