Is the redirect screen deceitful?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the redirect screen deceitful?

I mean, think about it. Everytime you click on a link that takes you out of Poly, two things happen:

1. You go to a "redirect" screen, which does absolutely nothing but pad Poly hit (click?) counts by adding people who are leaving the site.

2. You always get an ad, no exception. I assume somebody is getting paid for this ad... do the advertisers know that their ads are being consistently shown to people leaving the site?*

And did you know if you leave the popups open, they don't multiply. If you close them, though, you'll get a new one once you make another Poly click. I've been testing this theory with the "One2One" and the "You're computer may not be running our crap utilities" ads.

*I'm pretty sure if they did, they wouldn't care. But it's still a bit... shady.
    Yes.
    25.00%
    No.
    75.00%

That's what Apolyton does to survive . A pop-up popping up gets the site revenue.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

You always get an ad, no exception

there are no ads in the redirection pages
      Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
      Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
      giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Ads come up in another new window whenever you click a link to an outside website.

Are you just being pedantic Mark?
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Ads come up in another new window whenever you click a link to an outside website.
          oh THOSE redirect pages....

i thought he was referring to the forum redirect pages(shown after posting, etc)

I assume somebody is getting paid for this ad...
          yes. apolyton.
          I'm pretty sure if they did, they wouldn't care
          they dont (care)
          Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
          Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
          giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG

'Tis pretty sneaky........but if the advertisers don't care there is no problem, unless you have a problem with pop-ups generally.

Comment

I assume somebody is getting paid for this ad...
              yes. apolyton.
              I'm pretty sure if they did, they wouldn't care
              they dont (care)
              Then you have our blessing...
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

it seems that no one thinks the form of advertising is deceitful.

Me? I don't give a damn about the advertisers and gladly would screw them over if i had a chance

Comment

Originally posted by H Tower
                  Me? I don't give a damn about the advertisers and gladly would screw them over if i had a chance
                  If you don't depend of their $$$ that is.
                  XBox Live: VovanSim
                  xbox.com (login required)
                  Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
                  Spore page

Comment

I don't think the form of advertising is deceitful, I just think that the use of redirect pages is, well, not 110% honest.

Thanks for the answers Mark. Now I have another question:

When I started posting this thread, I could've sworn that I saw another thread in this forum that looked really interesting, something entitled "How Long Will Apolyton Last". When I was done, it was gone.

Am I seeing things? Or did the thread happen to get deleted sometime around 3:50pm, EST (US)?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
                      When I started posting this thread, I could've sworn that I saw another thread in this forum that looked really interesting, something entitled "How Long Will Apolyton Last". When I was done, it was gone.

Am I seeing things? Or did the thread happen to get deleted sometime around 3:50pm, EST (US)?
                      Seeing things The thread is still there:

XBox Live: VovanSim
                      xbox.com (login required)
                      Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
                      Spore page

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG

i thought he was referring to the forum redirect pages(shown after posting, etc)
                        I thought JohnT's "Everytime you click on a link that takes you out of Poly" would have been a giveaway.

Comment

Originally posted by vovansim

Seeing things The thread is still there:

http://www.apolyton.net/forums/showt...threadid=73135
                          more like NOT seeing things

Comment

Yes it is a little underhanded but it keeps 'poly going so I don't care. The pop-ups also don't bother me since I use a pop-up blocker.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Nudge Nudge Wink Wink. Say no more!.

Originally posted by Oerdin
                              Yes it is a little underhanded but it keeps 'poly going so I don't care. The pop-ups also don't bother me since I use a pop-up blocker.
                              You mean the pop-ups don't annoy you else you would use a pop-up blocker. Seeing as how you support Poly wholeheartedly and all you wouldn't attempt to deny it much needed revenues.

Comment

Working...
                              X