I'm Surprised ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Surprised ...

... that, upon logging on to 'Poly at 3:45 a.m. local time (CST USA), I saw that there were 504 users online. Wow.

And, yes, I know that comes nowhere close to the 900 or so we had during the premiere of Civ III some time ago. Nonetheless ...

Gatekeeper
    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

What does ... mean?
    (+1)

Comment

Apolyton's linked on the frontpage of www.slashdot.org, which means thousands upon thousands of geeks will be converging here any minute now. I hope the server holds.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

You put a comma on the inside of that link Asher.
        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

You'd think the parser would be smarter than that, wouldn't you.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Mine would be.
            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I didn't see the Poly link, but I saw this

"Cedar Point amusement park unveiled the tallest roller coaster in the world today. Top Thrill Dragster launches you from 0 to 120 MPH in 4 seconds via a hydraulic launch. The dragster looking like cars take you straight up a 420 foot tower, into a top hat element, and twists you 270 degrees straight down. All in about 20 seconds from start to finish. How about that one?

By my reckoning average g's only 11/3, but sounds pretty impressive nevertheless.

Edit - WHy can't these boards cope with all characters of a given font?
              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Aha, more geeks me want to eat... *gronk gronk*

I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Yes, Apolyton is great.
                  "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                  I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                  Middle East!

Comment

Taz:

"..." used in a journalistic sense means that parts of a thought have been left out, usually when a source has been rambling on and on and we only need the relevant information (i.e. if we're talking about military policy and s/he suddenly veers into a golf game or something, then returns to military policy).

When I use it here, it's mainly just a way of separating thoughts on a subject.

Gatekeeper
                    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

Comment

Oh, I see, nevertheless ...
                      (+1)

Comment

Don't ask next time, Taz, and you won't get a long-winded explanation that reminds you all-too-much of taking an English class.

Gatekeeper

Comment

Originally posted by Sagacious Dolphin
                          I didn't see the Poly link, but I saw this

"Cedar Point amusement park unveiled the tallest roller coaster in the world today. Top Thrill Dragster launches you from 0 to 120 MPH in 4 seconds via a hydraulic launch. The dragster looking like cars take you straight up a 420 foot tower, into a top hat element, and twists you 270 degrees straight down. All in about 20 seconds from start to finish. How about that one?

By my reckoning average g's only 11/3, but sounds pretty impressive nevertheless.

Edit - WHy can't these boards cope with all characters of a given font?

That reminds me of when we went to an amusement park for a physics excursion. Then spent the rest of the week analyzing the rides.

Comment

Working...
                          X