The difference between copying and cracks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The difference between copying and cracks

No-CD cracks modify the game software, and are illegal under the license agreement.

Making a backup of a game is not illegal, and in some cases is the right of the consumer.

So, if someone wanted to know how to copy the Civ3 CD, would I be allowed to help him? If not, why not?
    Copying + no-CD cracks
    58.33%
    Copying only
    8.33%
    Cracks only
    8.33%
    neither
    25.00%
    Up the Irons!
    Rogue CivIII FAQ!
    Odysseus and the March of Time
    I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

yes, it's legal to copy your own CD for purposes of backing up / archiving / whatever. it's a hazy line and markos will say no to everything because he's markos.
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

^^ Note that in some countries (Australia, New Zealand, I think even the EU), the right to make a backup is explicitly stated within the law, meaning that a license agreement cannot override it.

But you're right -- clock's ticking, on when this gets closed.
      "If you doubt that an infinite number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters would eventually produce the combined works of Shakespeare, consider: it only took 30 billion monkeys and no typewriters." - Unknown

Comment

It's legal to make multiple copies for your own personal use. Not that this will matter here at 'poly.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

And backup copy is legal as long as it's only used for purposes of, well, backup. As soon as you give/sell it to a friend, it's illegal.
          Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
          I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I could sell it as long as I delete all my copies and transfer all the original manuals and what not. Am I right?
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

technically, yes.

markos believes in the slippery slope theory, once you are allowed to talk about legally copying a cd, people will begin to talk about how to copy the cd so they can give it to their best friend. better to just kill all talk of copying and leave it at that. no grey area makes it easier to moderate

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                It's legal to make multiple copies for your own personal use. Not that this will matter here at 'poly.
                with computer software, it's one copy, one machine, as stated in the licence. you can;t copy civ3 to play on multiple machines.
                "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

/me at H Tower's explanation

when apolyton is the last site on the internet where discussions about copying game cd's for backup reasons can be possibly made, let me know. until then, there are sites(with servers in transylvania and huge disclaimers) exclusively devoted for that kind of stuff...
                  Last edited by MarkG; January 6, 2003, 19:03.
                  Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                  Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                  giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

And these sites can discuss ways of getting around copy protection too.

But it seems fair enough not to have that discussion on 'Poly. I mean, who actually makes backup copies of their cd's, and why?
                    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

zulu, there is PM and e-mail... Not to mention numerous other sites for this stuff, as Markos says... If you really want to know it´s not hard to find out
                      I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Skanky are you stalking me?
                        I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

You don't need Poly for cracks and suchlike - it's not hard to look for that sort of thing. This site is more about the freely available downloads (scenarios, maps, patches) and discussing the gameplay. I have seen little if any hardcore code discussions here, and modifying the game in such a non-conventional way (conventional would be through using scenario tools) is not what this site, IMO, is about. If we classify crack discussion as such a technical issue, then you shouldn't find it here.

Good thread, BTW.
                          Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

All of what has been said is kind of funny, since I was told about the NoCD crack right here on good ole' Apolyton.

ACK!
                            Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

that just means the mods didn't catch you. it doesn't mean it was right. with this rule, markos remains in the clear, and he can point to evidence that he tries to enforce it, ming's always closing this kind of thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X