Idea: No Quick Post Sigs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idea: No Quick Post Sigs

Is there a reason for Quick Posts to have sigs? IMHO, autodisabling sigs for posts made using the form at the bottom of a thread would save a lot of bandwidth without removing a single Newton of individuality.
    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

interesting idea, but i'd thing something else would be better: not showing sigs in short posts(say, something like less than 3 lines of texts). i thing it would make pages less cluttered
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

I agree with Markos. I always use quick reply, whether its a long post or a short note like this. 3 lines and under with no sigs sounds good to me.

Comment

Don't know if it's possible or not. Why not show them only once per thread (max)

Even if you make 2 or 3 or 8 posts, your sig would only show up once, seems more then enough to me

ot: Don't know if you have noticed, but auto censor isn't functioning as it should... (not that it bothers me, but others could be offended)
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

interesting idea, but i'd thing something else would be better: not showing sigs in short posts(say, something like less than 3 lines of texts). i thing it would make pages less cluttered

I hope you are definining a line in terms of the number of characters and not in terms of CRLFs/EOLs.
          Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Displaying sigs once per thread or once per page would be nice if possible. Other idea: add a "Display signature" checkbox next to the quick reply box to make it optional, possibly defaulting it to unchecked.

Although since Apolyton doesn't allow images in signatures I'm not as annoyed by repeated signatures as I am at other forums.

Comment

Why not abolish sigs all together and save a ton of bandwidth as well?

Well, some of us aren't any good at thinking up sigs anyway...
              (+1)

Comment

Hummm, I always use Quick Reply, it's way too slow to use the post reply one, and
                I don't need the data for anything, anyways...

Comment

Why not abolish sigs all together and save a ton of bandwidth as well?
                  you CAN save some of your bandwidth
                  Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                  Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                  giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Sigs don't take that much bandiwth, they only have to be downloaded once for every poster .

Then, I don't think the original suggestion is good, as I always use quick reply, ever since it was introduced. Except for those cases when I want to quote a full post and click that button, but it's rare.
                    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Mark- that's a great idea. Short posts (like this) really clutter up the pages when people have 3-4 line signatures!
                      -->Visit CGN!
                      -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                        Sigs don't take that much bandiwth, they only have to be downloaded once for every poster .
                        So long as Poly serves html, they're sent along with every post and thus take up bandwidth. Not that it matters - if saving bw was a concern, surely avatars would be forst in line for a nice shaving.

But they do introduce significant amounts of clutter. I'm all for a system that reduces them w/oput eliminating them entirely - sometimes ppl stick some useful stuff in there, after all.
                        "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
                        "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

Hmm, I don't care about bandwith frankly . I'm doing just fine with it .
                          Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                          I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I say leave it alone, although I never use quick posts since I like to use my trademarked "Dead Smily" message icon on the top of all of my posts.

Even with the auto-disable avatar feature, the site is still the same when it comes to traffic. From 3pm to 5pm EST (MTWTF) it's always too slow as before the feature.

Perhaps most people should do what I do, when it takes longer then normal to even surf the forums, come back another time.
                            I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Working...
                            X