Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Search isn't searchin' so well anymore

Hi All:

I'm having some problems with searching the Clash forums. We have numerous times discussed issues that should have the string "time scale" in the threads.

I searched in the Clash forum only, with time setting anytime, on the string "time scale" and only got a few very recent threads. As an example of things it should have found but didn't, it failed to find that string in the third quote block of the first post in the A changing game turn length thread. In that block it says:

I think FE we can leave the player in control of the time scale as you suggest, so you can have "realistic" wars. But they'd have to be infrequent, or you'd never be able to finish the game!
    I'm sure I could find by hand several other threads the search is failing to find. Any wisdom on a workaround?

PS, someone should vote for me as outstanding mod, or my itty bitty feelings will be hurt.

Thanks in advance,
    Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
    A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
    Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

I believe they reworked the search index to try and save the server under the hight ptw load a month or so ago. Some threads are not indexed. I would think that it would be a good idea to fix this soon.

Comment

Thanks ixnay, now that you mention it I recall reading something about that a ways back. . .
      A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).

Comment

vBulletin search never has been able to find its ass with both hands tied behind its back…
        (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
        (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
        (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Hey Straybow:

Yeah, but its tactile - posterior identification capability has declined radically since the summer. . . I think Saddam H. is clearly to blame.

Comment

The search use to be fairly good. Frequently I'd search for my name to see who was talking about me in forums I don't normally go it. Someone suggested we all do it, or called people who did it vain. I forget. Anyway, I thought it was a good idea so I started doing it.
            "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
            "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
            "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
            "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

I do that on all forums that I visit.

Comment

It's like self-googling........always happens within the academic community anyway.

Comment

Yes, I am the second most famous Will Moeller according to Google. I just have to beat out this college basketball player, which shouldn't be too hard.
                  "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                  "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                  "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                  "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Apocalypse
                    Yes, I am the second most famous Will Moeller according to Google.
                    i'm the most close thing of the world you can get to a real Giannopoulos
                    Browse Google Shopping to find the products you’re looking for, track & compare prices, and decide where to buy online or in store.
                    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

you're obssessed with froogle mark, did you know that?

Comment

Did you know that if you searched for Ming and Case Closed you get only 22 results.

The search is clearly broken.
                        (+1)

Comment

I'm trying to find an old off-topic thread from a few months ago. Only 2 results.

Anyone know if the search feature is going to be fixed?

Comment

No idea - I think its a bandwidth saving issue so it might be never.
                            (+1)

Comment

Mark, in my endless ME threads I had to find some quote by Cybergnu.

I was eventually forced to find the quote manually, going over hundreds of pages on dozens of ME threads in the recent 6 months.

Why?

Because the earliest threads the search would show were from the end of October.

The post I wanted appeared finally in the early middle of october.

Argh.

Comment

Working...
                              X