Presenting... Clash Of Civilizations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Presenting... Clash Of Civilizations

A long time needed update in our Alternative Civs section, we are glad to present a feature on Clash of Civilizations. In Mark Everson's(head of development team) own words:

Clash is a whole-history TBS game that a team of us, based here at Apolyton, are creating! The game is designed completely from scratch, and isn't similar to any existing commercial product, although in terms of what the player does at a high level it's reminiscent of the Civilization series. Our two most important aims in Clash are killer AI, and vastly reduced micromanagement. We'll also add spice and immersive value to Clash with extensive scenario-creation and modding capabilities.

The Clash team focuses on an October 2003 release, but Demo v7 is playable even now on PC and Mac.
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

good job clash dudes.

now add culture borders and super advanced diplomacy
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

glad to see they haven't gone the way of Guns, Germs and Steel

Comment

Originally posted by H Tower
        glad to see they haven't gone the way of Guns, Germs and Steel
        but the discussions GGS had during it's brief stay had some good ideas i'll steal when i start making games
        "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."

Comment

So the "Alternative Games" still alive? Good news! These games with enough cover could easily be like Linux for Operating Systems market.
          Signature: Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your posts

Comment

Thanks for the 'press' Markos!

Originally posted by UberKruX
            now add culture borders and super advanced diplomacy
            Hey UberKruX, we've actually already got something mostly coded that's much more sophisticated than culture borders! You'll be able to have power struggles based on ethnicity and culture in Demo 8. We think it'll add a fun new challenge to the Civ genre. Advanced diplomacy, well, we'll have it, but who knows when. . .
            Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
            A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
            Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

i like the border/colonization system, but i hate the move unit interface. i want to have simple 'click here to move', 'click here to cancel move' stuff.

Comment

more (hopefully constructive ctriticism):

to me anyway, all the graphics seem to merge together, units / cities / etc.

do you guys have graphic packs like freeciv? or even a civ2->clash converter?

Comment

Originally posted by jdd2007
                  i like the border/colonization system, but i hate the move unit interface. i want to have simple 'click here to move', 'click here to cancel move' stuff.
                  Yeah, I don't like the way we currently have it either. Gary, our main programmer, put the current system in at the last minute. And I thought we should see what people thought, even though I personally preferred it the other way. Demo 8 will most likely go back to the more streamlined way you're lookin' for, since several playtesters have complained about the current implementation.

UberKruX:

We don't have different packs right now because we only have one type of graphics. But there is support for things like graphics packs. All we need is an artist willing to do one! If anyone is game, or can talk a friend into it, I'd Love to have one of the people that did a high-quality Civ3 or CTP2 alt tileset do one for Clash!

BTW the graphics don't look as bad as what's in the article. those are jpgs that lost a bit in the translation for the bitmaps.

Thanks for the comments guys!
                  A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).

Comment

Mark, I've been meaning to check out the result of your efforts for quite some time, so this nudge here comes at the right time; seeing as how there will be no Moo3 release this x-mas, I might as well give this a spin during the slow, boring days between x-mas and the new year. Looking forward to it already. I think you guys show tremendous promise and discipline, keeping with this project all this time.
                    "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
                    "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

Hey Moomin, sorry to hear about your slow, boring xmas season , but glad Clash will potentially profit from it! Thanks for your kind words, what we may lack in skill we make up for in persistence! Looking forward to hearing your comments.

Comment

Working...
                      X