No announcement yet.

Xupiter Trojan Horse on this site.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks panag...checking that out now, as i get all types of crap when i surf
    Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
      What, if any, popups get served to logged in users on a regular basis?
      logged in users have always goten popups, just like non logged in(guests)

are you saying that you got to many of them(e.g. one at every page)? if this happened, you should make sure cookies are enabled
      That's funny; I haven't noticed the logged in popups until a couple of months ago. I don't get them at every page, just every day.

Anyway, until you can sort things out with the ad serving companies regarding malicious code being installed on users computers, I won't be enabling popups. Truth be told, I only ever had them enabled for this site because I value the service you offer here. I would like to suggest that you find an alternate revenue source that will serve you well in the long term, instead of just getting what you can now. You and I both know that banners and popups saw their best days long ago and are only going to provide smaller returns in the future.

Have you ever considered implementing text ads? A website I frequent uses them and most of the ads are bought by the actual users of the site instead of some company selling useless crap. They are very unobtrusive and more difficult to block (not that you would even really care to). I'm not sure how easy it would be to implement them, since you don't own the code for these forums. The site I visit with text ads runs on an open source blog engine called Scoop.

I can provide more details and some links if you want them.

Comment

until you can sort things out with the ad serving companies regarding malicious code being installed on users computers, I won't be enabling popups
        actually, this HAS been sorted out. there have been no reports of geting anything malicious after we said that it was gone.

Have you ever considered implementing text ads?
        we have used some text ads in the past. implementation is the most crucial part of them

I'm not sure how easy it would be to implement them, since you don't own the code for these forums.
        we dont own the code of the forums script, but we do have the right to alter it for our use.

one way or the other, thanks, i'd love to see a good implementation of text ads
        Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
        Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
        giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

What Lefty described is not Xupiter.
          Depends on which post he is looking at, I have posted both about Xupiter and the time/date utility/gator. His quote was on the post about time/date etc.
          Last edited by Lefty Scaevola; December 14, 2002, 19:15.
          Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
          Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
          "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
          From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

i was talking about the last post(about the time/date thing)

Comment

Markos: The site is http://www.kuro5hin.org. The Scoop development site is at http://scoop.kuro5hin.org. If you want to look at how they have implemented the text ads you can download the source yourself and take a look at it. The main Scoop developers and the ones responsible for the official Scoop codebase have the usernames rusty and hurstdog. You can sometimes find them on IRC at irc.slashnet.org #scoop.

Comment

thanks LotC

the automated system to buy ads looks interesting. the perl factor though is a big turn-off

Comment

Markos, ad-aware hasn't found anything relating to xupiter, just the usual "F" spyware I get on a bi-weekly basis.

It has happened a few more times since I posted the pic, and I have to ignore them and let them clutter my system tray until I'm done surfing on poly to restart the computer (to avoid having to drain the battery).

Cookiecop2 can't seem to block this, as it blocks (or halts, I set it to ask if I want it) everything else. I do block a cookie from www.qksrv.net (Set-Cookie: IMP=53wo-9le2-kt05rl8-; path=/; domain=www.qksrv.net) . I forgot why I blocked this. I must have come accrossed it when I surving a site I didn't trust (like the first time I surfed poly a year ago ).

I hope this was of some help. As usless as I am to these forums ()
                  I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Mark: I haven't gotten it for several weeks.
                    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Thrawn05
                      Markos, ad-aware hasn't found anything relating to xupiter, just the usual "F" spyware I get on a bi-weekly basis.
                      You would need the sept 24, 2002 update to ad aware to blast xupiter (and the hunt toolbar.)
                      Last edited by Lefty Scaevola; December 15, 2002, 21:57.
                      Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                      Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                      "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                      From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

just posting what i posted on the other thread...

The code from paypopup.com code is gone and not coming back ever.

Comment

hi ,

thanks allmighty

have a nice day
                          - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                          - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                          WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Thank You Markos.
                            I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Working...
                            X