Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yay! Popups that Ask Me to Download Stuff!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yay! Popups that Ask Me to Download Stuff!

Now my viewing experience is complete. Thanx!
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

cool.

what is it?
    CSPA

Comment

I selected "no". What was I thinking?

And I stand corrected, after having the popups crash my system, my viewing experience is complete.
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Yeah, and if you did not have download active x set to disable or prompt, you would not even get the oportunity to say no to the GD Xupiter crap.
        Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
        Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
        "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
        From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola
          Yeah, and if you did not have download active x set to disable or prompt, you would not even get the oportunity to say no to the GD Xupiter crap.
          why anyone not have one of those boxes checked? they'd end up with gator and a host of other undesirable programs on their computer. just the idea of that happening is terrifying to me

Comment

Move over to some other browser and you're safe.
            "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

It dependends on the browser? I thought that spyware installs no matter what!

So long...
              Excellence can be attained if you Care more than other think is wise, Risk more than others think is safe, Dream more than others think is practical and Expect more than others think is possible.
              Ask a Question and you're a fool for 3 minutes; don't ask a question and you're a fool for the rest of your life! Chinese Proverb
              Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. Warren Buffet

Comment

Most spyware is bundled with software that the user installs. Like Gator and Kazaa. The most common spyware add-on now is Cydoor. However there's also Active X applets that run code that might violate your privacy (i.e. install spyware). As Active X is a technology by Microsoft to enhance websites, which is a good thing, but it can be misused too. As only MSIE has Active X support, only users of MSIE are in danger for these malicious Active X applets. However you can protect yourself by fine tuning the security settings of your browser (if using MSIE).
                "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Step by step instructions to let you surf more safely, if you are using IE:

There is a little area on the bottom right side of your screen, saying "Internet", with a little world icon next to it. Double-click somewhere in that box to open your security properties window.

Select the internet zone (should already be selected) and then click on the "custom level..." button. This will open up a list of permission options.

Scroll to the bottom of the security settings page. There is a subsection titled "Scripting", and directly under that an option for "active scripting". Set this to prompt (or disable) and you won't be getting problems from popups (or web pages in general) downloading stuff without your permission.

* Note, some sites need active scripting to work properly. A solution to this is left up to the reader.
                  I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Even after I set prompt and cancel, these pop unders still persist and one tried to download evn after I had cancelled. whats going on
                    On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

I recommend Mozilla and it's built-in pop-up killer. Mozilla also prevents the use of Active X applets as it doesn't support them (reason: Microsoft).

Comment

Twice in the last two days as I am surfing on Apolyton I get a message to dnload a dialer?! I've already cleande my system with Ad-ware andI have Zone Alarm running. How the heck does that happen? Is it Apolyton? Is there any way to stop all your spy ware from residing on your computer?

So long...
                        Excellence can be attained if you Care more than other think is wise, Risk more than others think is safe, Dream more than others think is practical and Expect more than others think is possible.
                        Ask a Question and you're a fool for 3 minutes; don't ask a question and you're a fool for the rest of your life! Chinese Proverb
                        Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. Warren Buffet

Comment

CSPA

Comment

http://www.cylusion.com/neudemogyptica/popup0190.jpg ---> there i have made a 1024 pixel screnshot!
                            Consul of the Republic of Neu Demogyptica
                            See our official announcements HERE!

Comment

I get the dialer popup regularly, when I'm reading the news and my PMs. If this popup is designed to prevent people from reading news, it fulfills it's purpose from now on, at least for me. I understand, that the site needs popups and ads to exist, but that is a bit too much. A popup, that can bless me with a $1000 phone bill, if I'm not careful every time I'm reading news or PMs, deserves a big .

Comment

Working...
                              X