Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A solution to the big problem with the forums

What is the great problem with forums?

Answer: They start well, but at the second page (99% of the threads) became a crap that is a total 20 pages of useless litertaure.

How to solve it?

My Answer: Each user only can post one reply, and edit it adding a refference link (the old quote) to other reply.

How to present it?

My Answer: At the top of the thread, with a different color, appear the first post. Admin/Firaxis/BHG posts also have different colors. Each time that a reply is made, is added in a subthread for each user.

The idea of hide/show the content like some forums (by using script, CSS and DIVs ) is added.

-----

This could be great, please add USEFUL posts about it, I can't continue (my boss is going here!! )
    Signature: Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your posts

In my opinion, there really is no problem with the forums. Different strokes for different folks I guess..

I look forward to a response from the owners of these forums
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

But without that useless crap, the gems don't shine... the same way good can not exist without evil.

Besides, that sounds awfully confusing to me... and how would we go around with AC Fiction story threads? It would be impossible to have a poster A - poster B - poster C - poster X etc. rhythm since in the thread every poster has only one reply.

I think this forum's only problem has been server load, and even that is starting to ease off.
      Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

i'm with kass, the only problem, and not a large one anymore it seems, is the server load problem, but with all ways markos has found ways to speed up the site when loads get high has been a life saver

Comment

Not needed. The good debates usually have a couple people posting in response to each other. It would impossibly confusing to read one of these debates if they only could post once and edit that. It would be hard to follow what was said in any form of sequence.

Yes there is a problem with people leaving the topic and just posting useless crap to raise post count. But that can and should simply be countered by banning those that abuse the privilage. Not changing what makes debate on these forums so good.
          About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

tniem, agreed.

It's good that if you go back and edit, that you get tagged for doing it. Otherwise people could go back and change their arguments when the stupidity of them is pointed out, and claim they never said such a thing.

But yes, the flow is most important.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

You definately can't just remove the sequence of conversation. It would be confusing and non-sensical to read.

On second thoughts, though, this would help cure Apolyton's biggest problem - that being server load. With all the confusion caused, the number of posters using the forum would drop...
              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                On second thoughts, though, this would help cure Apolyton's biggest problem - that being server load. With all the confusion caused, the number of posters using the forum would drop...
                Bah you forget the number of threads that would start in the community forum with titles like "WTF is this for an update!?" and "Mark you ******!" *

*dramatization, does not represent the opinions of this particular poster, you ******. No, wait!

(Post 500, yay! )
                Yeah, Moe, that team sure did suck last night. They just plain sucked! I've seen teams suck before, but they were the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked.

-Homer Simpson

Comment

Kass is right . The forums only problem is server overload.

That's wearing off though.

IMO, the server crisis is easing, and the only two we have to thank for that are Markos and Dan

If there were posting restrictions, it should be the minimum post time is elongated to, say, 2 minutes. This will stop those Spammers

30 seconds isn't enough, IMO

Comment

30 seconds is too much. I surf poly with around 3 or 4 windows, so when i hit post, i'm doing it after composing several posts

Comment

2 minutes per forum Perhaps?

Comment

Also, I'm just saying that that would be the only one which I would change, if it needed to be changed.

I agree with Kass, you, Rah and others that the forums are 80% perfect now.

Comment

No big problem with the forums now.

How does this "hide/show content" thing works? I wonder that it would be similar to the "Collapse/Expand" feature in CivFanatics forum, but I never understood its utility.
                          I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Look, now for post again I have to put a reply!

-------

Well, the problem is that you have the idea of a sequencial vision, the idea that I apport is:

A page that have some amount of IFRAMES, the user can decide how many, these iframes have each one a subthread of user, at the same time one user only can see one iframe in the screen, the others must be accesed by scrolling or auto-go scroll (by scripting) pressng the name of refference in the subthread (with a come-back possibility by pressing a navigation button).

The idea is "browse" looking how the thread evolved and changed. Is more a "chat with turns" than a simple heap of text or sequence of letters.

If a user types something awful and want to delete it, he can, and automatically all the references of the reply of the subthread disappear (admin must accept that previously ).

When a new subthread must be loaded, the less used iframe (or the one with less refferences) disappear and loads the subthread that the user want.

here's a good example, but it isn't my idea:

http://www.bandaancha.st/foros.php?t...pl=41985#41985

-------

Advantages:

You can follow the thread in subthreads and subreplies, avoding tons of "I agree " or "la la " and similar

MarkG & DanQ can put a banner in each subthread, so they will earn "mo' money"

Disadvantages:

The crappy browsers (Netscape 4 and others) are out by the IFRAME usage (note: IFRAMES are an HTML standar, they are in Mozilla, Opera and Netscape 6)
                            Signature: Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your posts

Comment

Branching threads! NO!!!!
                              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X