This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My two cents

To begin with I want to say that I love the Apolyton community and the Civ franchise.

However, I have been shocked by the number of locked threads in the Play the World forum.

Now, I have looked at these and most of them were junk or were items that had been rehashed a thousand times (although I do think that the car analogy has SOME merit) and kudos to the moderators for taking out the trash. So when I logged in tonight I wasn't supprised to find another locked thread. I opened it up out of curiosity, and to my great suprise I was greeted by a rather insightful, well written post about how the SP version of PTW was great but the MP was crap. Nothing new, I know, but it was still a good post. Futhermore, the posts that followed it carried on a professional discusion with out falling into the usual patterns of rants. This thread was "My Review of
    PTW" by ArmaGeddin

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=67368

This ticked me off....maybe it is the philosopher in me but this struck me as totally unfair. What especially got me was Mings reason for shutting down the thread.

Sigh... we really don't need another new thread for each members "personal" review. There are many current threads where you are free to post your opinions... good or bad.
    First of all, everyone here is entitled to have his or her opinion of the game. Furthermore, they should also be allowed to post there opinion anywhere they please. This is the PTW forum and ArmaGeddin posted a PTW related thread. His only crime appears to be that he had a negative opinion.

Second of all, if the moderators are going to use the argument "There is already a thread dealing with this" to lock negative threads, they should do the same thing to positive threads. I don't know how many threads I have seen that have asked the same questions over and over again. Not to mention the fact that topics like corruption, culture, AI deficiences, etc... have all been run into the ground. Yet, that dosn't stop people from opening up new threads about them!!! However, if the moderators locked these threads like they locked negative threads then almost every thread would be locked, because I am sure that somewhere there is a thread that discusses just about any topic you would want to discuss.

It is my opinion that the moderators in this forum are out of line. I feel that they are targeting negative threads. I do not know why they are doing this, nor will I speculate as to what their motives are. Instead I will ask them to please stop so everyone may be able to voice their opinion. It is everyones right to have an opinion both positive AND negative. Do you think that by ignoring these negative threads that the disenters will go away? Of course they won't!!! I have always believed that both sides of an argument should be allowed to speak. Why do you want to deny that to us? The dissenters paid good money for the game, just like the fans and so their opinion is just as valid, even if it is a negative one.
    Texas is the greatest country in the world!

Historical Rants and Philosophical Dilemmas
    http://www.geocities.com/jeff_roberts65/

The mods may be a tad bit quick on the trigger with some of them.

I notice though that they are mostly the rants of the newbies who feel that it is their right to vent when ever and where ever they want. Let me preempt Ming. This is not where ever. This is a privately owned site. I think the owners want to avoid this forum becoming a cess pool of flame wars between the flamers of civ and the fan boys (hi). That is their right as they own it.

They repeatedly make the point that there are other threads to continue in. Fair I think, even if they could have left a few of the locked threads open, IMHO.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Ive noticed quite a few posts here and as well at civfanatics.com closed because of the moderators personal views on something... oh well i guess, to bad there wasnt a democracy tech

Comment

Originally posted by werdhertz
        Ive noticed quite a few posts here and as well at civfanatics.com closed because of the moderators personal views on something... oh well i guess, to bad there wasnt a democracy tech
        Privately owned clubs are not democracies. This is a privately owned club. The owners are free to restrict behaviour in any way they see fit. Free Market Capitalism 101.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Re: My two cents

amusing thread

This is a private forum, and as such the owners can lock or delete the redundant threads (such as this one) as they see fit. Don't like it, create your own board. Think Apolyton's owners are schills for Firaxis? Create your own board where you can go on these rants ad nauseum.

Your argument about threads on corruption and culture are completely asinine. In fact, I'm embarrassed for you, that you raise that as an argument against locking rant threads. I think you are failing to see the purpose of this website.

Comment

first of all, since you're posting about moderators' decisions, you should be posting in the apolyton forum not here.

everyone here is entitled to have his or her opinion of the game.
            everyone is entitled(cause we like it that way not cause the bible or the american goverment says so) to ask for an account and the privilidge to participate. we're nice people and give that privilidge for free to everyone. and it is our privilidge to take back at any time
            Furthermore, they should also be allowed to post there opinion anywhere they please.
            not really.
            if we believe we have too many threads of one kind, we have every right to contain people into posting in a specific amount of threads.

more in a while as i move this thread...
            Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
            Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
            giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Re: My two cents

Originally posted by Anaximander
              First of all, everyone here is entitled to have his or her opinion of the game. Furthermore, they should also be allowed to post there opinion anywhere they please. This is the PTW forum and ArmaGeddin posted a PTW related thread. His only crime appears to be that he had a negative opinion.
              This is a private site... you are members, not co owners.
              His "crime" was that he started yet ANOTHER personal "look at my opinion of the game thread".
              Negative opinions are fine... as you can see for yourself, there are more than enough of them being posted.

Second of all, if the moderators are going to use the argument "There is already a thread dealing with this" to lock negative threads, they should do the same thing to positive threads. I don't know how many threads I have seen that have asked the same questions over and over again. Not to mention the fact that topics like corruption, culture, AI deficiences, etc... have all been run into the ground. Yet, that dosn't stop people from opening up new threads about them!!! However, if the moderators locked these threads like they locked negative threads then almost every thread would be locked, because I am sure that somewhere there is a thread that discusses just about any topic you would want to discuss.
              I guess it's because most threads we close are titled "Look at me... This is my opinion of the game", which are much easier to spot

It is my opinion that the moderators in this forum are out of line. I feel that they are targeting negative threads. I do not know why they are doing this, nor will I speculate as to what their motives are. Instead I will ask them to please stop so everyone may be able to voice their opinion. It is everyones right to have an opinion both positive AND negative.
              First... you are welcome to your opinion. However, it is irrelevent. You don't set policy for this site, and aren't asked to enforce it. You are a member. Period. If you don't like it, you are welcome to post somewhere else.

Again... this isn't a democracy, it's a private site.

Do you think that by ignoring these negative threads that the disenters will go away? Of course they won't!!! I have always believed that both sides of an argument should be allowed to speak. Why do you want to deny that to us?
              Both sides are allowed to speak. If our purpose was to stop negative posting, we would be doing a miserable job of it. Take a look around... there are plenty of negative threads. We just don't think it's needed for everybody to start their own personal rant threads. It's easy enough to find a negative thread to post your opinon in.

And one last important thing... If you have a complaint about the mods or what you perceive as forum policy, feel free to send a PM or email to the owners of this site.
              Have a nice day...

*and added later... cross posting with MarkG is just tons of fun *
              Last edited by Ming; November 12, 2002, 04:24.
              Keep on Civin'
              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Maybe a good rule of thumb...

Dan, Markos and Ming are the "gods" of Apolyton and their word is final and the law we obey. The one who whines or becomes stubborn, will face a few weeks in a concentration camp called "Mingapulco."

Maybe that's a good way to put it.

Oh, one more thing...

"Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

our aim here is to serve people who are interested in the game. but above those, we put the part of those people who also PLAY the game. we cant have a forum full of rants or a forum where each personal opinion on the game is a separate thread. not even the people who want to post their overall opinion of the game are served better with tenths of similar threads

in the first two pages of the forusm there are plenty of general discussion/opinion threads
                  - Give PTW a chance!
                  - Kudos to Gamespot
                  - Is PTW worth 20 bucks?
                  - Fanboys and Whiners
                  - is ptw actualy worth it????
                  - What do we think of PTW now?
                  - Civ3 (PTW) is UNPLAYABLE in its current state

i would say they are enough and are hard to get missed by someone wanting to gather opinions about the game before buying it.

but there are also the people who DO have the game and want help and discussion on specific issues

btw, funny that you mentioned corruption and culture as there has been TONS of discussion on these two issues, discussion that lead to changes in the game. but discussion, not rants and trolls...

/me is looking forward to the next neotek thread....
                  Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                  Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                  giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Wow, this thread just refuses to die.

While at first it may seem like "hey they're trying to mute us", if you take a look you'll see that the entire PTW forum is swamped with "I hate PTW" threads, you don't even need to look to find them.

It would be kind of like me starting a "Why Markos is My God" thread while Rasbey starts one called "Why Markos is My Deity", when we both know that only one thread is necassary for the discussion of the topic.

Comment

Trip, are you suggesting that we should start a thread like that?
                      "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Originally posted by Trip
                        While at first it may seem like "hey they're trying to mute us", if you take a look you'll see that the entire PTW forum is swamped with "I hate PTW" threads, you don't even need to look to find them.
                        As I said... if our mission was to not allow negative posts about PTW... we are indeed doing a terrible job
                        Keep on Civin'
                        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
                          As I said... if our mission was to not allow negative posts about PTW... we are indeed doing a terrible job
                          Of course, but you're one of the forum N-zi's.

Trip, are you suggesting that we should start a thread like that?
                          Maybe so...

(+1)

Comment

I tried and I tried, but I can't find any good reason to disagree with Markos / Ming

The only conclusion is that they are right, eventhough that might be hard to accept.

All those I-hate-PTW rants (simple I-hate-civ3 rants, but then replace civ3 with PTW) are boring and reproducing the same arguments.

And it's true, there are topics that are reposted all the time, but I'm sure that if all anti-PTW rants have fallen to page 3, nobody will close a fresh new rant.

Last but not least, I really really want to be able to open / close threads, post after close, and all that. What if someone gave that to me
                            Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                            Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

The Admin giveth, and the Admin taketh away. Blessed be the name of the Admin......

Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses

Comment

Working...
                              X