Problems with the Apolyton Directory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with the Apolyton Directory

What's the matter with the Apolyton Directory.

If I am in a category and there are more then ten items and I want to go to page two I return to the first page.

If I want to see more items per page and I select on show page I return to the page with with ten items. Actual I tj´hink here should also the options show 30 and show 40 items per page and not only show 10, show 20 and show all items available. So if I want to see 30 per page I have to select all and see maybe 100 items.

Again if I want to change the sort order I return to the page with the items in the same order. Actual sorted by rating is not good for me, because it is more interested when the item was last updated.

If I click in the directory on this link:

I get the followling error message:

Code:
    Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/virtual/site1/fst/var/www/html/dir/index.php(75) : eval()'d code on line 199
    Page gen. in 0.0699140 secs
    From time to time the language in that the pages are change. And also the language buttons on the bottom of the page have no effect. It seems for me that the selected language is random.

Also the number of items in each category is random as well the sort order, but mostly by rating. And as I stated above you can't change it.

If I click on Add Link I get an error message in Thai. If I click on Modify a link I go to the log in page of the Directory, if I log in I go to the Favoriten page, yes this is in German and there are no favorites, actual I expected to see there my links. If I try to go to the index of the Directory I am looged out.

Finally the most annoying problem if I try to log in I return to the same page where the log in form is found but I am not logged in. Being logged in is the most essential feature in order to submit new links. Some days ago I suggested a new subcategory and now I want to fill it with life and I can't.

It doesn't matter which browser I use the problems are in every browser present and I don't use cookies.

-Martin
    Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

If I want to see more items per page and I select on show page I return to the page with with ten items.
    that should be fixed

I don't use cookies.
    from the love of Sid, please to to learn to live with the existance cookies (and your need to use them)
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Mark - did you get my PM about the yearbook?
      "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
      You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
        If I want to see more items per page and I select on show page I return to the page with with ten items.
        that should be fixed
        Actual the show field where I can select the number of items still doesn't work. But at least I can go now to page number. So what is with all the other problems I mentioned above. Especially the problem that I can't log in?

I don't use cookies.
        from the love of Sid, please to to learn to live with the existance cookies (and your need to use them)
        I hope you don't mean that I have to enable the stuff in my browser and in my profile in order to use the directory. It did work without cookies therfore it still should work without cookies.

-Martin

Comment

Well the problems still does exists, so far it seems it is possible to go to the directory by using cookies but that is a unsatisfying situation each time I have to enable these stuff in my browser enable it in my profile and afterwards disable the stuff again in my profile and then in my browser.

-Martin

Comment

Any progress at the directory fixing, Markos?

-Martin

Comment

Why on earth do you have something against using cookies?

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Gühmann
                Any progress at the directory fixing, Markos?

-Martin
                To ensure that you are able to browse the Apolyton Directory as intended, you will need to enable cookies within your browser. In regards to your concern in activating them, you can always clear/disable them after you have finished browsing the said database (as you have already eluded to).

---------------
                Dan; Apolyton CS
                PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
                >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Originally posted by ixnay37
                  Why on earth do you have something against using cookies?
                  You can abuse cookies, so I don't want to disable them whenever it could be necessary. So it is more confortable when they are always disabled.

Originally posted by ixnay37
                  To ensure that you are able to browse the Apolyton Directory as intended, you will need to enable cookies within your browser. In regards to your concern in activating them, you can always clear/disable them after you have finished browsing the said database (as you have already eluded to).
                  Fact is the as the Apolyton Directory was new I didn't need to use cookies neither to browse the Directory as intended nor to log into the Directory. In addition even if I enable cookies and I am not looged in, so that I browse the Directory as guest, it doesn't work. For instance I can't change the number of entries per page, I can select the new number e.g. 20 or 10 and I can press the go button I will return to the page with the same settings. Instead of the requested 10 entries per page I return to the page with showing all entries. The same is true for the sort order.

To sum it up, my request is just fixing things that are broken.

-Martin

Comment

You can abuse cookies, so I don't want to disable them whenever it could be necessary.
                    what do you mean by "you"?

if you use mozilla it has the "enable cookies for the originating website only" option
                    netscape 4 has the "accept only cookies that get sent back to the originating server" option
                    perhaps you should try those

For instance I can't change the number of entries per page, I can select the new number e.g. 20 or 10 and I can press the go button I will return to the page with the same settings.
                    this isnt broken, but rather disabled, as part of our anti-server-load measures.

the need for cookies is forced by these measures as well.
                    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

what do you mean by "you"?
                      Tat is a more generalize use of "you". Alternative formulations for:

"You can abuse cookies" are

"It is possible abuse cookies" or

"One can abuse cookies"

I looked it up to be shure.

this isnt broken, but rather disabled, as part of our anti-server-load measures.

the need for cookies is forced by these measures as well.
                      Well you didn't mention this in the according thread and I can't find this in your post above.

But one thing is actual left, if you disable the selection of the sort order and the selection of numbers per page that could be viewed you should remove this options from the list if they doesn't work anyway.

But anyway thanks for your explanation.

-Martin

Comment

Working...
                      X