Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Page Cache System: interested to have it as an option?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Page Cache System: interested to have it as an option?

- Cache system implemented: guests will see cached versions of the forum index, forum display and thread display pages. Cache is updated every 5 minutes for the first two page types, and every 10 minutes for the last. Obviously, these pages may not show the latest data and feature like new posts and readed thread indications will not work

you can see it working if you log out and compare the "Page generated in X seconds" note at the bottom of forum pages
    Yes
    41.67%
    No
    50.00%
    Dont care
    8.33%
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

NOOOOOOO! Ehum.
    Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
    Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Only for guests? Sure, why not?
      "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

If any guests would like to complain, feel free to post here and have your say.
        Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
        "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
          Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

Do it, we're not going to be the ones bugged by it anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
              Okay, here I am...

I voted no because when I'm at work, I always visit as a guest (because (1) I'm officially not allowed to post on forums (reading is okay though ), so logging in is suspicious (like I care, but still...) and (2) I don't trust the bastards with my passwords - they've been abused before). So I would not be happy with this at all (esp. since I don't have much else to do when at work, it's boring as hell ), but if *really* necessary, I could understand it, I suppose...
              Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

for guests it is ALREADY enabled and working

i'm asking if registered users would like to have it as an option

Comment

Also, I would like to point out that I fear that all this 'bullying' of guests might scare away potential new members. Outside the Community forum (which n00bes usually don't visit) I don't often see explanations that the totally messed up forums guests see is only for guests. Some people might think 'damn, what a crappy forum' and find other sites to visit... I agree with the current policy of servicing members before guests, but we shouldn't take this too far, IMHO...

Comment

Crosspost.

Uhhhhmmm... name one reason why *anyone* would want that...

Comment

Well, I voted yes as that would be a yet another feature you could use to maybe speed up surfing on Poly during peek hours. Anyway, I don't see it as a negative feature either as registered members could toggle it if they want to and unregistered guests would still see the posts, allthough with a small delay, but that shouldn't be a problem. Now, Markos, please fix the avatar problem using Skanky's solution.
                      "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

I don't often see explanations that the totally messed up forums guests see is only for guests.
                        what do you mean by "messed up"?

name one reason why *anyone* would want that...
                        well you see, it's not just that there is less load on the server from the creation of the page. since the page is created faster, it is also served faster
                        this thread was created for me as MarkG in 3.6 seconds
                        for a guest it's under 0.5 seconds
                        (these numbers are not accurate of course but generally ipage generation time is cut at least half)

this means that most of the times, guests now have their pages load faster than registered users

Comment

Working...
                        X