No announcement yet.

Too Many Sticky Threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just because a thread is read-only does not mean that the thread can't be used by the general public. We do use it - to find out who has had a name change and what they changed it to. The thread clearly and easily conveys the information it was created for, and is easy for Ming or whoever to update as they go. It is not just Ming who uses the thread, either. Besides the fact that he is not the only person to post in the thread (Mark and DanQ both have), the thread wasn't created for him, it was created for us. There are 1200+ views to that thread for a reason.

A link in the member page would be static. It would not change depending upon how many people had their names changed since you last checked. A thread, however, displays if a new entry is made in it - it is therefore easy to see at a glance if there are new changes since you last went to the community forum.

Besides, any alternate implementation of this feature would require Mark or Dan to spend even more of their precious spare time changing the members page, possibly even needing to edit the database. Plus the required testing. And for what end-result? To have one less thread in the Community forum that some people aren't interested in reading.

I don't see how changing the current situation could be justified.
    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

yeah but how often does someone change their username?

or perhaps more importantly how often does someone care?
      I'm 49% Apathetic, 23% Indifferent, 46% Redundant, 26% Repetative and 45% Mathetically Deficient.

Comment

I think the "Picture Thread", "FAQ Ads and Support", and "New Chat Room" can all be untopped. That way, they can fall off the front page since their need has gone away.
        About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

there we go! this issue needs more enthusiasm
          I'm 49% Apathetic, 23% Indifferent, 46% Redundant, 26% Repetative and 45% Mathetically Deficient.

Comment

And I must admit I do get annoyed every time Markos sticks a Apolyton Store thread.
            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

it's Markos' and Dan's site, they can do what they want.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                And I must admit I do get annoyed every time Markos sticks a Apolyton Store thread.

Hmmmm... the owners of this site do something to help pay for this site that they let people use for free, and you are annoyed...
                Keep on Civin'
                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Keep the name-change thread topped! It's annoying enough that people change their names (there should be a law against it) but it's even more annoying that you answer something to someone while not knowing it's someone you already knew...
                  Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                  And notifying the next of kin
                  Once again...

Comment

But that's the only reason I change my name!
                    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

there are only 5 topped threads, what's the big deal?

+1 to PC, and more importantly keeping this thread "topped", so to speak.
                      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Well I understand the point, but some of those threads are really better if they are within easy access rather than have to go through pages and pages to find them (note a lot of the threads at the top don't necessarily have many posts but will have a lot of views). Essential threads for the top are things like the name change log which are generally informative, but not posted in...
                        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                        X