This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions as new flags

When I recently started a very comprehensive thread about rules for new flags in the thread "Rasbey's flag initiative," I was already planning to suggest these flags. But as Ming closed the thread after 25 minutes, I had to ask Dan about the flags. He said they would be decided on case-to-case basis, so here's my suggestions as new flags on Poly.

First of all I want to underline that most of these flags would be justified as they're either flags of autonomous republics in the Russian Federation or tribal flags like the Sami flag that already has been accepted as a new additional flag. And also worth mentioning is that I have noticed that autonomous areas are given their own flags, so giving these autonomous republics their own appropriate flags would follow the current standards. This wouldn't neither split Russia, because Russia is as well-known a very multiethnic country after all.

The Russian Federation, autonomous republics

Adyagea

Altai

Bashkortostan

Buryatia

Chechnya

Chuvashia

Dagestan

Ingushetia

Kabardino-Balkaria

Kalmykia

Karachay-Cherkessia

Karelia

Khakassia

Komi

Mari El

Mordvia

North Ossetia

Yakutia or Sakha (sidenote: Sakha is the native Yakutian name, but it's also used nowadays as the English name)

Tatarstan

Tuva

Udmurtia

The map is provided as a reference, because I'm sure very few Apolytoners would otherwise know where Udmurtia is.

Official tribal flags of speakers of Finno-Ugric languages

These are all flags that can be compared to the Sami flag already available on Poly, so there's a good reason to accept these too.

I have underlined the alternative recommended.

East Karelians

Veps

Ingria or Ingrians

Livonia or Livonians

More about Livonia...

Virtual Livonia
    Livlizt
    "Baltic's Onetime Rulers Have Shrunk to a Handful," New York Times, December 4th, 1997

Sidenote: There's even "famous" Livonians. IMO the best known Livonian has to be the Live woman in Jules Verne's "Michael Strogoff, Courier of the Czar." BTW, I'm not trying to provoke a certain Latvian, but I'm just underlining Livonia because it's rather nice.

References for further reading and resources

World Flag Database - Here's you'll find the ratios for the flags (except Livonia, Ingria, Veps and East Karelians) and the original files.
    Unrepresented Nations and Peoples Organisation - The details about all the minorities can be found here.
    Categories on dmoz; 1, 2 - Enough links to keep you busy.
    Some Finno-Ugrian links - "Some" links means a huge list of resources in this case.

All minorities or they autonomous republics listed here are members of the Unrepresented Nations and Peoples. Several of the members of UNPO (represented in the UN) have already their flags on Poly, i.e. Tibet, Aboriginals of Australia.

Markos,

I'm already wondering why you haven't demanded the flag of the Democratic Union of the Greek Ethnic Minority in Albania, member of UNPO, to be added on Poly.

P.S. Mods, please don't close this thread this time. Thanks!
    "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

I like Chuvastia and Ingushetia's ( * scrolls up to check the spelling * ) flags...

This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

You went through all the trouble just to get the Karelian flag in and push some Finnish imperialist agenda? Good grief.
      "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
      "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

No, far away from that. Actually I don't like those who want to have the areas lost in the Tartu peacy treaty back. And those are very few; a couple of hundreds. BTW, didn't you notice that I said I underline Lavonia, because I like it? Karelia is included because it's one of the autonomous republics.
        "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

i was going to say post ante deletia right after i saw the topic of this thread, but instead i'm going to say that your obssessed.

And oh yeah, 3:1 says markos closes this one too

Comment

Seems the people are vexed by your love of vexillology, Rasbelin...
            This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Originally posted by H Tower
              i was going to say post ante deletia right after i saw the topic of this thread, but instead i'm going to say that your obssessed.
              I'm not obsessed. I just want to use several of the flags I have listed here. Besides I mentioned that I have talked about the flags with the administration, so I do know that I might get at least one of the flags added. But of course I would like to see all of them added, as that would be more equal. Currently I'm just waiting for Markos or Dan to give a verdiction.

Comment

I used to like the flag feature, but now it's just a plank for silliness.

I would like consideration to be given to ending it.
                I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
                i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

If these regions really are autonomous, I see no reason for them not to get flags on Poly. Scotland isn't an autonomous regions, but we get our flag here.
                  Up the Irons!
                  Rogue CivIII FAQ!
                  Odysseus and the March of Time
                  I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

All those are official autonomous republics in the Russian Federation. Recognised by the federational government and foreign countries too. Chechnya, Dagestan and Ingushetia are familiar from the war in the Caucasus. Karelia for it's links to it's past as a part of Finland (I'm not sure if the current administrative borders of the Karelia are now the same). Bashkortostan is the republic which national airline's plane crashed this summer near the Swiss border in southern Bavaria, Germany. Komi, Mari El, Karelia, Udmurtia and Mordvia have a strong population of peoples that are at least close linguistic relatives as speakers of Finno-Ugrian languages, but also possibly genetic ancestors. This is a part of the clue of the real origins of the Finns that no one has been able to solve so far.

I attached a map that shows the native population in percentage of the total population in the autonomous republics. It has not been scaled down in size, because you couldn't read it properly then.

Comment

How about The Soviet flag? Or just the Workers flag?
                      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

How about the Third Reich's flag?
                        CSPA

Comment

trying to get banned are we?

Comment

How about the flags of Audentior Independent Nation, the Flying Islands of Jasonia, United Demesos and the United Micronian Republic of Tymaria ?

Comment

Originally posted by H Tower
                              trying to get banned are we?
                              I don't think they'll ban chegitz for simply asking for the flag of the bloodiest, most vicious terror regime the world's ever seen.

Unless, of course, the harping gets to Ribanah heights.
                              "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
                              "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

Working...
                              X