MSN Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSN Support

Is it possible to get MSN added? We've even got Yahoo, which has a fraction of the userbase of MSN, but no MSN.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

If I recall it correctly, the argument against MSN is the handle: you must use a e-mail addres as a handle, so you're expose to SPAM...
    Trying to rehabilitateh and contribuing again to the civ-community

Comment

Asher, you can always include your .NET Messenger Service handle in your signature. So that's a very easy solution.

Example:

"Our users will know fear and cower before our software! Ship it! Ship it, and let them flee like the dogs they are!"
      MSN handle: blahblah@msn.com
      "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Originally posted by yaroslav
        If I recall it correctly, the argument against MSN is the handle: you must use a e-mail addres as a handle, so you're expose to SPAM...
        No one forces you to use it. Many people have hotmail or MSN accounts they never use to read email as their MSN account.

And actually I think with the latest versions of MSN, it's got a ScreenName type system as well. At least, it requires everyone have a unique ScreenName now when you modify an MSN profile.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

As I said before, my account name shouldn't be too difficult to work out.

Comment

I don't use hotmail for email, just msn. AOL, ICQ & Yahoo! are the default fields for vbulletin, but the admins can add another field, which will only appear as a seperate field, not specifically an IM field. Eg. this is the same place a field would go for, say on a Nintendo site, 'Favourite Ninendo game'.
            I only did one thing wrong today ... I got out of bed
            "Damnit, is it possible to spell medievel right?" -SilverDragon

herr_ren@gmx.net

Comment

Jabber! Jabber! Jabber!

/me considers actually figuring out Jabber, then decides that IM isn't that useful anyway and that he's doing fine with email *
              This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

we wont support anything M$-related
                Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

/me gives Markos a flameproof overcoat and runs away before Hell on Earth rises from the deep dungeons below Redmond *
                  This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Originally posted by LightEning
                    Jabber! Jabber! Jabber!
                    Trillian! Trillian! Trillian!

"Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Um...

/me looks at Rasbelin's post, which flies in a beautiful parabolic arc over the green lands of Apolyton and ... misses the point by a mile *

Trillian is, AFAIK, only a client that can use already existing networks and protocols. This is a good thing, but those protocols are (mostly) proprietary. The exception, MSN Messenger is IIRC based on SIMPLE, which is an open protocol (kudos to MS for putting up a fight with AOL - it's a god eat god, or perhaps devil eat devil, world!)

Jabber, on the other hand, uses its own open (and XML-based) protocol. It seems to be preferred mostly by Linux/BSD users who don't have much trust for any big company - after all, all the other protocols are already proprietary, and MS does have a history of taking open protocols and making their own proprietary versions of them...

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                        But you will support AOL-TimeWarner. Interesting. Somebody's got their priorities straight.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                          but you will make sure the site is viewable in IE, but not Opera
                          Up the Irons!
                          Rogue CivIII FAQ!
                          Odysseus and the March of Time
                          I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

Originally posted by LightEning

Trillian is, AFAIK, only a client that can use already existing networks and protocols. This is a good thing, but those protocols are (mostly) proprietary.
                            EasyMessage is the also available that includes MSN, ICQ, AIM and Y!M like Trillian. I tried it, but it's too basic for me compared to Trillian. But there's although many web based solutions and other clients that have all, except MSN. Look at the list available on dmoz.

I assume I will try a Jabber client in the nearby future.

Comment

/me wonders whether to smack himself or Rasbelin over the head with a cluetrout, (i.e. whether Rasbelin doesn't understand me or I don't understand Rasbelin), then gives up and decides to let someone else tell Rasbey the difference between a protocol and a client *

Comment

Working...
                              X