CivSite news: CivFanatics site not accessible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CivSite news: CivFanatics site not accessible

The CivFanatics website and forums are down. I went to CFC this morning and have gotten a 404 error message. Then I went to www.civfanatics.net and found there network status has been updated:

The CivFanatics.com site and forum are temporarily not accessible due to a domain problem. We expect to fix the problem within 2 days. Sorry for the inconvenience. ~ Thunderfall
    Anyone who goes to the CFC is going to expect the site to be down within 2 days.
    "All your base are belong to us" -Cats | "You don't leave an enemy at your back. Not if you like living." - Mara Jade | "You know the first rule in combat? ...shoot them before they shoot you." - Faye Valentine

...and posters on that site used to criticise Apolyton for being unreliable
    'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
    - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

I wonder if they're really sorry for the inconvenience, or if deep down, they couldn`t really give a ****?
      "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

2 days!!! Jesus, how did they manage to cook up a domain problem anyway?
        Up the Irons!
        Rogue CivIII FAQ!
        Odysseus and the March of Time
        I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

And the reason for why CFC is down, is that they seem to have forgot to renew their domains each 2 years as their registration period is set to.

The domain civfanatics.net has already expired, but it looks like they have a temporary agreement with their registrar.
          Record expires on 09-10-2002
          Record created on 09-10-2000
          And the civfanatics.com domain has been locked as a precaution for domain hijackers
          Note: To help prevent malicious domain hijacking and domain transfer errors, the registrar has protected the registrant of this domain name registrant by locking it. Any attempted transfers will be denied at the registry until the registrant requests otherwise. The registrant for the name may unlock the name at any time at the current registrar in order for a transfer initiation to succeed.
          The conclusion is that they have either run out of cash or they have had a dispute with RegisterFly.com.

The information was gathered from the public WHOIS records.
          "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

BTW, there's no more clues out there, so we can only wait or bug Thunderfall for more details.
            "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

I have no problem accessing the site
              "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
              "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Yes, true, you can access civfanatics.net, but I already stated that in my post.

Comment

That's a college boy for you. They always seem to think that some exam that will determine the rest of their life is more important than some web pages and a forum.
                  Last edited by Lefty Scaevola; September 13, 2002, 10:08.
                  Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                  Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                  "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                  From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Thanks for the clear perspective, Lefty.

We need to remember that for TF, CFC is his avocation, not vocation. I would guess that Real Life reared its ugly head at a bad time, and the result is: "oops!"
                    Civfanatics Forum Co-Administrator

Comment

I spoke with Thunderfall last night, while the site was active, he had no choice, it was NOT his error, it was an admin error on their end.
                      I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
                      i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

I never noticed that it was down

RAH
                        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Chris 62
                          I spoke with Thunderfall last night, while the site was active, he had no choice, it was NOT his error, it was an admin error on their end.
                          Well, I'm at least glad to hear that TF didn't mess up, even accidentally. Now we can blame *them*.
                          Civfanatics Forum Co-Administrator

Comment

Noooo! Not again! What about the Firaxis Chat??

Comment

Thank you for the update, I vist two other Civ sites regularly, and that is one of them.

Comment

Working...
                              X